Starting from cold probs......Please HELP FELLAS!!!!!

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents. Got a problem!.........

Whenever I start my car from cold it starts to cough, as if its finding it hard to breathe. On start-up when I try to rev her there is a half second delay between pressing the throttle and the engine reving....Then 7 out of 10 times she will die/engine will cut out! After 30 seconds or so she is fine, operating as normal. So far I have cleaned all the breather pipes, cleaned the MAF, installed a new fuel vacum actuator (on top of the airbox, makes a clicking sound), Checked the filter, checked the transponder signal, cleaned the TB and checked all the HT leads.......Recently it has had a full cambelt service, temp sender and all other consumables (plugs) were replaced 9K ago. I really am scrathing my head now! CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE!

Ollie:sorry::sadlike::wacko::blink:...........

Did you do a throtle body calibration in vag-com?

Throttle Body Adaptation:
Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]

Enter Group 060 (may be Group 098 on some cable-throttle cars)
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]

Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB
adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in basic mode for about 30 seconds, then switch back to normal settings and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Hi. Yes this has been done numerous times but to no avail! I have checked and re-checked just about everything! It only happens for the first 30 seconds or so when the car is started. Today the engine died twice when i sarted it. Soon as it started, the revs would drop off without me pressing anything and the engine would cut out. I really havn't got a clue what is happening! PLEASE, IF ANYONE ELSE CAN ADVISE, IT WOULD BE IMMENSELY APPRECIATED. I JUST WANT TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!

Ollie

Souns like a fuelling problem.

Not sure what car /engine you have mate, but a mate of mine just had a similar fault on his VW LT and, after many, many checks, found it to be a faulty injector. Replaced that, now its good as gold.
Problem only occurred when cold, and then only sometimes.

Years back I had a TR6 with the original mechanical Bosch fuel injection, and the most common problem I encountered, even after a full rebuild, was the injectors getting lazy (probably partly from not being used much and partly from only remanufactured injectors being available) - it resulted in the same problem as you are outlining here - poor starting particularly.

Is it the older 12v engine?

If so it has an "old skool" idle control valve, rather than using a stepper motor inside the throttlebody itself.

Its probably gummed up inside and needs cleaned out?

Either that, or the idle switch inside the throttle position sensor is faulty or missaligned.

Its a 30v......The injectors/fuel pump/fuel filter have all been replaced 4k ago.....

Anyone else got any ideas? This thing is driving me crazy!!!

30v with a cable throttle?

Never heard of that one before.

Could still be looking at an idle control/throttle body issue. Can you take a photo of the TB so i can see if theres an ICV or similar attached?

There is definetly NOT an idle control valve(it was me who informed you that the 30v cars dint have an idv...) And it is DEFINETLY a cable throttle. It is an S reg(late s reg). My iphone is off for repair at the mo(its the only camera i did have!) so i can't take any pics! However I do really appreciate the offer/concern! Thanks Mate! .......... Think I have it cracked (80% sure). I was reading as thread about moving the steering wheel around(via the adjuster) to free up/change the position of the reciever wire that comes off the ignition barrel. I did this this morning and the car has been fine all day! The only thing I am uncertain of is I thought if it was an immob issue then the car would be dying STRAIGHT away, not slowly dying after 5-20 seconds?????!!!!

Thanks again Aragorn. For some reason you always seem to come back with good answers! fair play mate!

If it was the immo, you'd have the immo light flashing on the dash, and the engine would fire, run for around a second then shut down.

Its interesting that it has a cable throttle (i thaught all 30v engines had DBW!), by the sounds of it, it uses the same throttle body design as the 1.8T, which has the ICV stepper motor internally mounted, and moves the throttle flap itself. It might be worth trying to take the black cover off the side of it, and clean the tracks inside. I know Lee had a problem with the TB on his 1.8T though, and it ended up being a replacement job, think there must have been something wrong with the stepper motor itself.

The car is still behaving itself......So far! Thats interesting, so the makeshift ICV/stepper motor is inside the throttle body?? I have actually taken the black cover off and sprayed it with carb cleaner when I first bought the car to try and cure my stalling/low idle problem, which is directly linked to this problem I'm sure! Cleaning the internals didn,t make much of a difference. So my best bet is to get a new throttle body complete? It sounds logical as I can't see what else it could be?? Would the MAF have anything to do with it? I have taken that apart and cleaned that too. My fuel consumption is normal, and the car isn't running rich.

I'm sure lee's was doing very similarl stuff, stalling, unstable/low idle etc, and a new TB sorted it.

If you suspect the maf, unplug it and see if the symptoms go away.

Roger that mate! Ref the throttle body, is it a massively expensive part/big part or a reasonably small one like the the part I took off to clean the insides out? Has anyone got a pic. I need to be certain what I need to buy before I cough up my hard earned at the dealership. The guys there are whatless(Audi Slough) Its full of school leavers with all the wrong advice/full of BS! The old and bold boodjust sits in the back all day drinking tea and dosnt liase with any customers......