2.4 V6 Smoking.

ButcherV6

Live Fast Die Smiling
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the forum having only owned my 98 A4 2.4 V6 SE for a few weeks now and I love it but one thing that is bothering me is it smokes quite a lot on idle, it's a white wispy smoke, it dosnt seem to kick any out while driving though just when I stop.

The car has done 130,000 miles and i bought it off my girlfriends mum but for the last 5 months the car has only done about a mile a day and she's a steady driver so the first thing I thought was condensation, since I got it iv been on some long runs and iv give it some too but it's still smoking, it's not using any water or oil that I can tell so far and it passed it's emmisions last week for it's MOT

Any ideas? Things to check? Thanks in advance.

mine does this but when i changed the oil it seems to have helped a bit but stll smokey there is a bit of water in the tail pipe on mine think this may b a factor ps WELCOME aboard

Hi mate,

Welcome, and good choice of car!;)

Mine has done 133k now and have owned her for 13 months. Have always thought, when sat in traffic, she 'smokes' quite a bit more than other cars. After seeing this, I'm thinkning it may be just a common thing with these..? Mine wouldn't be smoking due to lack of use though, she does see high revs very often indeed. Changed the oil and plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, etc back in november, and didn't make a difference. Have only noticed it in winter (cooler) months, so have just assumed its something to do with that. Personally, i wouldnt worry about it, so long as it is only light condensation-like smoke.

Hope that helps

Sam

Thanks for the reply, it's kind of put my mind at rest, I found myself looking at other cars to see if mine was the only one smoking. The service light came on a few days ago so I'll be doing oil and all filters probobly next weekend.

Also what induction is best for the 2.4 v6? Standard, cone, panel? It's just I bought the car and it has a cone type induction kit on it and iv never really been a fan of this type of filter iv no complaints it still pulls very strong and sounds good but this is the first Audi v6 iv driven so not sure what is should be capable of. Thanks again.