Top Mounts

colinurquhart

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've got the usual knocking from my front suspension of my '97 1.8 avant and have changed all the different arms and links but didn't know about the top mounts at the top of the struts, is this correct. Where is the best place to buy them online and do I need to undo the pinch bolt yet again. Any hint or tips would be greatly appreciated. I've searched the forum on them but not had a great deal that goes into much depth. Thanks

Hi try europarts I think its £28 for pair :) on my S4 the rear top mount is gone and the only place I can get it, its the dealer and for pair its £222.40 :(

Looking at the price hes given you, its probably for the actual top bracket. But its a big steel bracket, so its not really going to wear out.

Theres a rubber "seat" thats sits atop the spring, but its only a few quid. The only other bushes are in the top of the shock absorber, but audi dont list those seperately from the shock.

Whats the problem?

Looking at the price hes given you, its probably for the actual top bracket. But its a big steel bracket, so its not really going to wear out.

Theres a rubber "seat" thats sits atop the spring, but its only a few quid. The only other bushes are in the top of the shock absorber, but audi dont list those seperately from the shock.

Whats the problem?

The problem is that when I drive the car I can hear a kicking noise from rear driver side like metal hitting metal I have been to mechanic and he said its the top rear sus mounting so I don't know what is wrong really with the car :( could it be the sus shock?

Do the top mounts from ecp come with the bearings inside plus can i do the job without splitting the pinch bolt, cheers

colin: Depends how you do it. You can peel open two little grommet things in the engine bay which allows you to access the two top bolts on the top mount plate, then undo the shock and remove, or you can remove the pinch bolt and drop the top plate out complete. Just remember to put something under the lower arms to take the weight when you remove the shock.

Nez: I dont buy it. Unless the bolts are loose the metal thing couldnt make any noises. Its probably the bushes in the top of the shock (which when bolted upto the car are hidden inside the top metal bracket) , or perhaps one of the bushes on the wishbones themselves.

Also colin; i dont think the top mounts on the front have bearings. The top of the shock doesnt rotate like a Mac Strut, its just a big rubber cuishiony thing.

The problem is that when I drive the car I can hear a kicking noise from rear driver side like metal hitting metal I have been to mechanic and he said its the top rear sus mounting so I don't know what is wrong really with the car :( could it be the sus shock?

You should have thrown new shocks in there while you fitted the springs... I would do that before spending 200 odd quid on an unnecessary bracket. Its either worn bushes/mounts on the shocks or drop link. Could also be something is loose especially if your mechanic did not use new bolts and nuts !

Thanks Aragorn for that. When I priced some top mounts at my local motor factors I'm sure he said there were some without bearings which he had a price for and one and one with bearings but had to ring his supplier on Monday to get prices. If its just a rubber mount how would go faulty and cause a knocking noise? Thanks

Just rang Euro Car Parts as the site was quite confusing. They sell just the rubber mounts on their own for £14 each or a kit for £40 which consists of mounts and bearings for doing both sides so have just ordered them. Thanks for your help guys.

When they arrive this week I'll let you know whats in the pack and what i find on the car too. Now you have me worried and confused lol

Right there are parts that Audi lable as bearings, they are more like additional rubber bushings with dimples on on the back and they can become squishy causing movement.

Similar thing on the front, squishy rubber mounts that give, also labled bearings so don't worry at all

Ok thanks for that Byzan. I'll try and get a pic on of the kit for people to see in the future.

Nez: I dont buy it. Unless the bolts are loose the metal thing couldnt make any noises. Its probably the bushes in the top of the shock (which when bolted upto the car are hidden inside the top metal bracket) , or perhaps one of the bushes on the wishbones themselves.

OK today I took the wheel out and check the wishbones and I couldn't see any movement there so I think the wishbones are fine and I also checked the top metal bracket that looks fine too so the only thing I think could be the shocks or the bush on top of the shock.