pads

jcb

Reaction score
need some brake pad recomendations.

need something a bit tougher than standard but not track day hard
Was thinking EBC Red (only know what the Yellows feel like).

I gather the OEM are actually Pagid Black but haven't bought any for so long I have lost track of what is any good (and not so expensive that I have to sell a kidney!)

who has what in what car?

bare in mind that this is a "sporty" A4 with RS4 brakes

i have been using ebc yellows for a few years now on my golf. not once got to a point where i felt they were going to start fading and ive really really used them hard.

better response from cold than reds, by a long way too

see, that is what I thought when everyone I know said yellows are way too hard. nearly caused me to headbut the steering wheel a few times!
my problem I haven't had a chance to really give them some stick and they are beginning to glaze the discs. with as much braking power as I have they are still waaaay better than stock but I have lost some of that stickiness.
might just clean the discs up and stick with them. never used reds

I run the redstuff on the front of mine. They seem pretty decent, nice progressive feel but havent really punished them yet. I used to run the ferrodo DS3000 race pads on my corrado VR6, boy did they work well.

the yellows definately have better response when cold compared to reds

maybe you just need to kill them more. what do you have under the bonnet to make uprated rs4s necessary? :D

well if I ever get any time to myself and the exhaust manifold I ordered turns up then a 2l block with a GT2871! I have everything required except the exhaust mani and DP
the b@stards keep sending me pictures in progress to tease me!!

Ed%20Bewsher%20029.jpg

If your glasing up the disks that would suggest the pads are too hard/too aggressive, and they're never actually getting properly warmed thru. I'd suggest switching to something like the DS2500 or Mintex M1144, which are both more road biased, or even some OEM audi pads.

Bear in mind that if you had the standard 288mm disks, you'd want hardcore pads to take the heat, but with the massive setup you've got on there that can handle 400hp's worth of RS4 on its standard pads, you've ended up with massively overspecced brakes.

they were fine before its just that recently I have been tootling around town and not attacking B roads.
mostly to do with one rear wheel pointing West when the rest point North..

are the DS2500's Ferrodos or something (can't rememeber the brand?)
not going with Audi ones! they are £200 for a front set and are the same as Pagid Blacks!

If I still had the 288 set up I would have written the car off twice over. useless things

The fact you would have written the car off with 288's is missing the point.

With 288's you need high end "race" pads, otherwise they overheat and fade away.

With your massive 365mm disks, designed to haul up 1700kgs of RS4 with 400hp, even the standard pads are more than capable of doing the job. By fitting "race" pads, all that will happen is the pad will never get hot enough to work properly (because you have less weight, less grip and less power than an RS4), you'll be getting substandard performance from the cold pads, and will glaze the disks.

I'm not saying buy pads from audi. I'm saying buy a normal road compound pad, not a super aggressive track pad.