Theoretically speaking...

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
... you could install the 4.2 V8 / S8 engine, coupled to the Passat Tdi 130 6-speed 'box, with V6 driveshafts and hubs... and you're away?

Just day dreaming about possibilities... :icon_thumright:

Yup.

Could even bolt it direct to your box iff necc.

If going V8, i would deffo use a quattro for a base.

At least until Paul1982 gets his back to let us know how it drives 2WD

After what you said about motorway usage, the 6-speed box seems quite appealing.

Will see what Paul says when he gets his back on the road then...

could a TDI 130 box handle the bhp & Torque ????

Easily, the 6 speed is an 01E box the same style as fitted to an S4 etc. Oh and the V8 probably makes less torque that a decently tuned diesel tbh.

It's torque that kills boxes not power, there ars some big power 1.8ts and 2.0l running on std 016 transmissions in the US

Ye you wouldnt even need the 6speed.

The stock 5speed would work just fine.

The V8 makes around 400nm of torque.

As mark says, thats basically exactly what pauls had done, although hes kept the 5speed and the original hubs etc afaik.

That is what I'm gonna do If I finally get A4Q.
Was checking what kind of speed on each gear you get from 5 and 6 speed gearboxes.
Difference is small and less shifting with 5 speed. Economy will not be an issue cause it's not gonna be daily.
Still not sure if I should get 2.8 or 2.6. Facelift 2.8 would be a dream but cost is much higher.

I would use a 2.5 v6 tdi gearbox and shafts as the 5 speed gearbox is not strong enough. The 01E fitted to the 180Bhp diesel engine will take 500Bhp and 600Nm all day long. Its the clutch and flywheel thats the weakest link. Make shure you go quattro as it will help getting the power on the road + wont snap the driveshafts on every take-off !

Guy in US did his swap with 5 speed (from 1.8T) gearbox with RS4 clutch
and looks like it works fine.