Still have Water Temp Problem(After Changing Stat)

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
Refering to my previous thread about Water Temp being between 60c-70c I decided to Change the Stat as advised..

I Changed the Stat Today and everything went ok as planned I bled the System as per Audi instructions..

Ran the Engine for about 5-10 mins and this time the Temp Gauge as never moved off 60c not a bit..

I felt around the pipes again and the Rad was cold and most of the pipes were too apart from both Heater pipes which were warm not hot...

I'm thinking now I have put the stat in wrong(how can you) or it's something else like the CTS But if it's now that how come I'm getting no reading on the Gauge(60c)or can it be Air in the system...??:tocktock:

Last edited:
10mins at idle might not be enough to actually get the coolant properly up to temperature

The heater acts as a bypass circuit as the engine warms up, so you'd expect those to warm up first, and the fact they are would suggest there is no airlock. You can always wiggle the heater hose off a little bit and see if it bleeds out any more air.

Drive the car round the block, 1 or two miles and see if the gauge moves, if it does drive another few miles and see if you can get it up to 90c

10mins at idle might not be enough to actually get the coolant properly up to temperature

The heater acts as a bypass circuit as the engine warms up, so you'd expect those to warm up first, and the fact they are would suggest there is no airlock. You can always wiggle the heater hose off a little bit and see if it bleeds out any more air.

Drive the car round the block, 1 or two miles and see if the gauge moves, if it does drive another few miles and see if you can get it up to 90c

Will do Mate Thanks...I will try it keep you posted...

took mine a good while to get up to temp when i changed my thermostat, heaters were blowing cold for a good 15min and temp gauge was still stuck at 60degrees, next min i looked its was on 90 and blowing hot air, not sure why it did that but mine took a while to get through the system

Will do Mate Thanks...I will try it keep you posted...

Well I pulled the Hose Back as far as the hole while it was running and it let some Coolant out but I also kept pinching the pipes further down and that shot some water out..

Temp kept increasing so I thought great the Stat is not dead..Topped up water quite a bit too

Temp still climing right up to About 87c just shy of dead on 90c(I think the Stats are set at between 87-90 odd) and also the oil Temp is now on about 85 which is a lot more than it was..

I got underneath to check for leaks around the Stat(was ok)and also I replaced that bottom Hose Spring Wire was a game because it was rusted in(check also for leaks was ok)..

The O-Ring on that Bottom Rad Hose is Built in the Flange when you connect it so no need for a O-Ring..

The Strange thing is though the Bottom Hose that goes from the Thermostat to the Bottom push on Hose is stone cold still also the fins on the Rad(should they be)..

Did Not go for a drive the weather is Snowing so I gave that a miss...

I was going to kick the old Stat as far as I could up the garden but thought better of it thinking it could have been worse and been the CTS after Changing the Stat..:)..

Last edited:
sounds like it simply still hasnt run for long enough.

The thermal output at idle is tiny, and you'll really need to drive it to get some proper heat into it

The rad will only heat up once the thermostat opens.

sounds like it simply still hasnt run for long enough.

The thermal output at idle is tiny, and you'll really need to drive it to get some proper heat into it

The rad will only heat up once the thermostat opens.

Thanks for all your Advice aragorn over this Thread you have been very helpful as usual...:icon_thumright:..

Last edited: