AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Problems starting

My car has started having problems starting. The engine just turns over but it doesn't fire. I have to release the key and turn it again and give it a little gas on the pedal for it to start afterwhich I get a strong fuel smell. I guess it's unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Can't be good for the cats [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] . This only happens on the first start of the day whether it is morning or afternoon.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what the problem is? I am in Portugal at the moment so don't have access to a VAGCOM.

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_RastaS4

Re: Problems starting

You can purchase the vagcom and put it on your computer! And I'm pretty sure that you could find some mechanic around you with a vagcom machine. Anyways, it might only be your spark plugs...

G

Status

If it doesn't fire at all, then it is probably the immobiliser kicking in. Unlike most immobilisers the Audi one allows the car to turn over (and even briefly start once), but it won't fire at all, just like you've completely run out of fuel.

The immobiliser is triggered by a chip in the ignition key, and a sensor in the keyswitch.
    If taking the key out and in cures it then it will definately be the problem. When you put the key in, leave it a few seconds before starting the car.
    I've just had this on my A4 and it will require a new keyswitch if it gets any worse.

Neutral

Status

I don't think it's the immobiliser as the car always starts second time round (I don't need to remove the key) as long as I give it some gas on the pedal.

To me it seems like an electrical problem or maybe fuel. It might be floding as there is a strong smell of fuel after it starts.

I'll check the spark plugs.

Status

It could be the coolent sensor playing up if so it will only get worse.

it cost about 25 and is easy to fit.