has anyone removed a tow bar ?

theviking

Reaction score
B4 i start has any one removed a tow bar and is it straight forward to do <they look so pretty !:ermm:>

Well I've fitted them! the problem you will have is getting a replacement brace bar as looking on etka it's part of the bumper, you will also need to get the bumper brackets. Normal tow bar is the brace bar & bumper mounts as one unit, which is then bolted to the chassis with 4 bolts which can be accessed when you lift the boot mat.You will also need to get a new rubber plug, which is where the wiring goes through the chassis.

OK might leave it 4 now thanks 4 info b5nut

yes iam in the same boat. its staying for now!lol

Yes I have. The loser who owned it before me lost the key and bashed the lock housing in, so I couldn't get a lockshith on the job! Took me 90 minutes with an angle grinder to get that bad boy off!That is some tough metal!

I removed mine, as said, need a replacement standard bumper bar as it uses a different one with towbar attachment. Straight forward stuff, bumper off, disconnect bumper bar, replace with alternative bar and refit bumper. Alter any wiring where required.

Took me 90 minutes with an angle grinder to get that bad boy off!That is some tough metal!

90mins! i was gunna get someone to do mine. i've got the full electric worx hangin out back and it looks bad.

been scout ebay for some time and can't see these bars.

you should have a westfalia removeable one.........stealthy and invisible.
IMAGE_034.jpg

IMAGE_032.jpg

IMAGE_033.jpg

but if you are just removing it can't you just cut off the projecting bar, leave the brace and chassis leg inserts, tape up any electrics and call it a day?

Couldnt get mine off the obvious way. The key mech was busted through so the only option left was to angle grind!! The upper most part is still ib there as a complete plonker along the way in the cars life had busted the lock, and welded it in.....I wasn't very happy!

Not mine but mine looks like this
05062007161.jpg

looks to be a pain to take off .

where is the lock on that then?