Droning noise?

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed an odd droning noise that's only audible around 2000 Revs. If I drive at 2000 revs it is constant but if I accelerate or decelerate it totally stops. Anybody got any ideas?

It seems that the noise only occurs in third gear so I'm guessing it's gear related. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about but something I've just not noticed before in the new A4 with the six speed box.

TBH it's probably the std low revs V high ratio gearbox and LWFW Lee.

Gimme a ring if it's troubling you, or hopefully be listening shortly

Cheers dudes.

It's not troubling me but I thought I'd see if anyone else had encountered a similar sound. Realised this morning that IFAIK there isn't anybody on ASN with the same gear setup with an AEB so I guess that's the key!

what kind of radio do you have?
I find moderate volume is the answer to the ever increasing noises my car is producing!

what kind of radio do you have?
I find moderate volume is the answer to the ever increasing noises my car is producing!

My stereo only has two settings.. 'off' and 'loud' so I'd imagine that would be an adequate solution :icon_thumright:

Lee, forgive me if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here... but are you running a 6-speed 'box in the B5...?

Yep, its a 2wd 01E diesel box. Solid strong and damned good on the motorway.

I also changed the shafts and CVs to heavier stuff to cope with the extra torque afforded by the Outlaw.

Oooooh... is it a straight bolt-on job, or is there more jiggerpokery involved?

Is that a B5 model 'box then? I assume it's from the V6 oil burner...

needed surgery to the subframe, i had to add the V6 uprights and CVs. 6 Speed gearlinkage. It was from a passat TDi Sport 130 2003. The box itself bolts drirectly up to the engine and uses the 1.8t clutch and slave

V6 uprights... do you mean the front hubs?

And the V6 CV's...? Inner AND outer, or just outers? Or the complete V6 driveshafts? Is all this necessary with a fairly tame 1.8T though?

Could the 'box drop in without any changes apart from the subframe massaging?

Yeah it does work very well on the motorway. Compared to my old green A4 (5 speed) there is a massive difference in fuel consumption on a long motorway run.

CVs and uprights were needed to get the correct inners to suit the 'box. As the tripod inners wouldnt mount onto the std 1.8t shafts. If you had a TQS the V6 inners would prob fit the TQS shafts

Lee I had a headache also with an annoying drone, but my symptoms were as follows:

• A god awful drone, that got worse the higher the engine speed...
  • Only appeared on certain journies
  • Got worse on certain times of the month..
It was only when I got rid of the 'ex' that the noise went away....strange one that ?

LOL - I was originally going to put a sarcastic post about a whine I had, but then thought better of it!

Lee I had a headache also with an annoying drone, but my symptoms were as follows:

• A god awful drone, that got worse the higher the engine speed...
  • Only appeared on certain journies
  • Got worse on certain times of the month..
It was only when I got rid of the 'ex' that the noise went away....strange one that ?

LMFAO :icon_thumright: