What a difference a set of wheels makes...

helpimonfire

Rawr. That is all.
Reaction score
Before. With the chavtastic wheels from the previous owner.
DSC00339.jpg

During. It's looking better already!
DSC00346.jpg

Ahhh... Much better :w00t:
DSC00347.jpg

Bear in mind it's just been dropped off the jack, so the suspension hadn't settled. Is it me, or do these 16s fill the arches much better than the 17s? Not to mention look a helluva lot better! Can't argue for £50 :icon_thumright:

Next up... New backbox, the previous owner decided a jap-style 2.5" exit was a good idea on a euro barge? Oh, gunna get it running properly first, got a new MAF sensor on the way, then we'll be doing the ARB droplinks, followed by investigating the play in the rear wheels. Wheel bearings probably.

What do we think? Better? Those wheels (League Virtuoso if anyone's interested) will be going on the 'bay soon unless I find someone that wants them. :huh:

What size tyres were on the puke wheels?

Be interesting to know if they looked tiny simply because they had the wrong tyres, or due to the design etc. I tried an S4 wheel on ours, and even though the rolling radius was the same, the S4 rim made the car look like it was on stilts, whereas the stock 16's looked fine.

And ye, it does look a lot better!

Ooooh, those 17's were proper nasty. They would have put me off buying the car in the first place... someone might have seen me driving it off from buying it! lol

Looks loads better on the OEM 16's fella.

What size tyres were on the puke wheels?

Be interesting to know if they looked tiny simply because they had the wrong tyres, or due to the design etc. I tried an S4 wheel on ours, and even though the rolling radius was the same, the S4 rim made the car look like it was on stilts, whereas the stock 16's looked fine.

And ye, it does look a lot better!

They were 215/40/17, which just seems wrong to me! I'm quite happy with 16s on 205/55/16 tyres, it rides well but still sticks to the road as it should.

People keep telling me that the A4 will understeer like buggery, but I've yet to provoke any. Do lowering springs and shocks really make that much difference? I found my Rover Coupe would still understeer, but there was less body roll. (This one has been lowered)

Geeman - I've had the car 2 weeks and felt embarrassed by the cheapo nasty chav wheels. Honestly, whoever bought them requires shooting. Urgh.

Aye the tyres are undersized then. 225/45r17 is the factory fitment for 17's on a B5.

Hopefully ours wont look too bad with her new shoes when i get them sorted out.

Most fwd cars (and 4wd cars) will understeer, the manufacturers design them that way, as understeer is "safe".

The B5 platform is a little unusual, in that the entire engine sits out infront of the axle line, which doesnt help the understeer though.

Aye the tyres are undersized then. 225/45r17 is the factory fitment for 17's on a B5.

Hopefully ours wont look too bad with her new shoes when i get them sorted out.

Most fwd cars (and 4wd cars) will understeer, the manufacturers design them that way, as understeer is "safe".

The B5 platform is a little unusual, in that the entire engine sits out infront of the axle line, which doesnt help the understeer though.

What wheels have you gone for?

Again, I've yet to experience any real understeer (in the snow and ice doesn't count!), but then again, to drive in that way on public roads is a bit... Stupid.

As Clarkson says - "Audi have mounted the engine in front of the headlamps"... I do see why any labour intensive work would require the front end to come off...

Just try and take a roundabout with a little to much speed and you will see understeer, it's just the case of taking your foot off the loud peddle and the car will come back in line. It's a good idea to know the limits of the car, I'm not saying drive around like a ****, but an industrial estate on a Sunday evening should give you the opportunity to understand the car.

Have to say the car looks far better with the OEM wheels:icon_thumright:

was ther a sub from motormania in the boot ?hardi haha

:D @ this thread

my s4 came with some NASTY rs4 knock offs. not only were they RS4s, but disgusting curbed knock offs. the car looked pretty terrible. i then got a set of refurbed OE wheels for it and i no longer LOLd everytime i clapped eyes on the thing :p

What wheels have you gone for?

<snip>

I do see why any labour intensive work would require the front end to come off...

Got myself a set of Boleros, going to give them a bit of a paint though, so i'll get some pics once i'm done!

The front end coming off is actually a really neat feature tbh. Trying to do tricky jobs in a cars engine bay when the front of the car is in the way is quite tedious!

was ther a sub from motormania in the boot ?hardi haha

I did find some wiring going from the centre console to the boot...

:D @ this thread

my s4 came with some NASTY rs4 knock offs. not only were they RS4s, but disgusting curbed knock offs. the car looked pretty terrible. i then got a set of refurbed OE wheels for it and i no longer LOLd everytime i clapped eyes on the thing :p

I picked these wheels up off ebay for £50, which is nice. I do 45-50 miles a day to work and back, as much as I'd love some RS4s or something 18" or maybe 19", my B-road commute would break me. And them. So OEM 16" FTW at the minute!

Got myself a set of Boleros, going to give them a bit of a paint though, so i'll get some pics once i'm done!

The front end coming off is actually a really neat feature tbh. Trying to do tricky jobs in a cars engine bay when the front of the car is in the way is quite tedious!

Which ones are Boleros?

And yeah, I do agree with the front end comment to be fair. Mine will come off at some point soon for a new turbo and a FMIC :w00t: