Am I still running the original clutch

richie_jones

Reaction score
My A4 1.8t B5 has done 130000 miles and i`m the 4th owner. Its a 98 R plate. I`m just wondering if anybody can tell me how long the clutch should last, and do you think i`m still on the original clutch. I`m only asking because i`m sure i felt it slipping yesterday. Roughly how much to change...??

Thanks

Ours got to 194k and when i removed the engine the clutch had audi rings on it... Theres also nothing in the service history about a clutch change.

I think it will depend how its done its mileage, if it sits munching miles on the motorway, the clutch is being used less, so will last longer, OTOH if its always being driven around town, then the clutch is being used a lot more, and will fail sooner.

A new clutch is around £120, fitting might cost 200quid if your lucky. The other thing to consider is the condition of the dual mass flywheel. They do wear out, and if its dead its something like £300 for a new one.

As a result of this, when i did my clutch, i used a solid flywheel from an Audi 80 TDi, and a clutch from an early TDi A4. Flywheel was £35 and the clutch was £130+vat

There cheaper prices than i expected for a clutch change. Any pointers for a decent DIY thread regarding clutch changes. Found a good one but was for rear wheel drive i think. I`m not a mechanic but fairly confident, change my turbo a few months ago and replaced the suspension front and back...

If you get someone to give you a hand then its do-able on a DIY basis. Remember the gearbox bellhousing will not clear the subframe so it will need dropping and a new geometry check/set-up done + the subframe bolts are 1 time only/stretch bolts. For that reason and the way i am working (alone most of the time) i found that its easier with the engine out suspended on a hoist/crane... i dont really like wrestling with a 80kg gearbox while under the car with minimal clearance ! I also dont need to strugle with the clutch slave cylinder and the shifter linkage wich is a PITA to remove !

i agree with adam. Taking the engine out means your above the car, with a nice crane taking the weight, and mostly everything is accessible. I hate crawling around underneath, and crawling around underneath with a gearbox in your arms trying to wiggle it back onto the engine isnt something i'd entertain.

I guess if you had a 4 post lift and a transmission jack, you'd be fine just dropping the box out, but not for a DIY.

Just pulled the coverplate off the old engine just to see what the clutch was like. Sure enough its down to the rivets. Doesnt appear to be any date stamps on it, but it has the audi rings and part number stamped in, along with LuK markings. I'm actually quite impressed it was able to hold a remap, although it was never really driven in anger, it never slipped at all!

Mine got to about 175k but shat itself and slipped when i got it chiped. I just did it myself and took the engine out. Once you have the front end off and everything out the way it should come right out.

The one on my non turbo lasted over 150K, but was removed due gasket failure & oil getting on the clutch. The one on my 1.8T is dead and the car has just over 115K I don't the think the last owner got the hang of a clutch and how it should be used:think: