JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

Compressor / Clutch interchangability between models

Hi Chaps, hope you're all well, sorry I don't get as much time on the forums these days.

I have looked in the archive and can't seem to find the info I need all in one place, maybe you guys can help.

There is a chance we might be getting a '95 A4 in on scrappage soon, and if it comes in I will be looking to nick the a/c compressor for my old blue beasty (still going strong, now 76k on the clock)

As yet, nobody can tell me what engine the scrappage car has.

My own climate has been inoperative since I bought the car (belt removed by prev. owner due to an undiagnosed fault). The system is still charged, so it wasn't lack of gas. I don't know whether the fault lies in the compressor or just the clutch.

So what I'm after is knowing which engines used the same a/c compressor as a '98 1.8t. Or, if the compressor is different, which of them still use the same clutch, e.g will the clutch from a 1.9TDi or 2.6 go onto the compressor from a '98 1.8t.

Also, is there any difference in compressor and clutch on cars with climate and straightforward a/c?

Wonder if anyone can shed any light?

Cheers guys.

'98 Santorin Blue 1.8t Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I would imagine the compressor is siezed. You can find out by first off spinning the outer pulley, if it turns freely the clutch is fine. If the compressor is siezed it would burn thru the belt pretty quickly, so you might even find the belt wasnt removed deliberately...

afaik most 4cyl units are interchangable, i have one sitting from my V8, which is the same part number as the V6 units, but its different to the 4 cyl ones. V8/v6 has 4 mounting bolts, the 4cyl ones only have 3

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    That helps a lot, cheers mate.

When I was under the car for the Cambelt I played with the compressor a bit and it seems to turn, albeit a bit grindingly, but looking back it might have just been the clutch being turned.

Awesome. Fingers crossed it's not a V6 coming in!

'98 Santorin Blue 1.8t Sport