2.8Q Fuel woes..

Padz

Reaction score
Hello, I seem to have a very very thirsty car, put £10 in and im lucky if i see 20 miles out of it, have checked for leaks, seems to be the odd bit of vapour coming from the driver side but cant see any leaks, anyone had a similar problem? Also the car seems down on power, doesnt rev as clean as it should, how can i get it running nice again? Its on 121k just had a service too..

First and simplest, does the temp guage come up to 90 within a few miles and stay there?

Secondly, these cars dont have "engine management" or "check engine" lights, so the ECU could very well have recorded a number of faults, it just wont show you what they are. You need to scan the car using vagcom or similar to find out whats happening. Copy vagcom leads are available on ebay for around a tenner, and they're enough to get you started.

Hello, I seem to have a very very thirsty car, put £10 in and im lucky if i see 20 miles out of it, have checked for leaks, seems to be the odd bit of vapour coming from the driver side but cant see any leaks, anyone had a similar problem? Also the car seems down on power, doesnt rev as clean as it should, how can i get it running nice again? Its on 121k just had a service too..

10.2 mpg (working on £1.12 a litre)... thats not good lol.

can you get it hooked up to VAG-Com to check sensors?

The temp guage doesnt work lol, i was putting it down to a faulty thermostat, will get the lambada and maf checked out, pretty sure there is a garage near me that uses vag com so ill get it booked in.
Thanks!

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean when you say there's a bit of vapour on the drivers side, eg:exhaust, engine bay, etc.

Is there a fuel smell inside of the cabin or perhaps any smoke when the car is stationary?

Sounds like a hell of a lot of fuel to be using if it's just a duff sensor. A dodgy MAF or lambda sensor would affect fuel consumption, but it's unlikely it would increase 250% like you are seeing. I would be looking more along the lines of a leak. Check around the fuel filter for signs of leakage.

Leaking fuel will evaporate quickly so just because you don't see a puddle like you would with an oil leak doesn't mean that fuel isn't leaking somewhere.

Ah, temp gauge doesn't work... could very well be the ECT sensor at fault. A quick, cheap and easy fix.

If it doesnt work at all then its prbaby the sensor.

duff stat would probably allow it to at least move the guage.

Vagcom will hopefully tell you whats wrong, dont take it to a garage, buy your own lead.

Buy a lead and do what with it? (sorry im a total noob at this stuff) :(

Buy a lead and do what with it? (sorry im a total noob at this stuff) :(

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?27-VCDS-(formerly-VAG-COM)-forum

have a look there. its basically software + lead which plugs a laptop into your car, then it runs through a list of presets to see if anything is abnormal. so you can see if a sensor is not working, or reset the air bag light etc.

good bit of kit, and only £10 if you get a lead off eBay and use the free version of the software (doesnt give u all the descriptions, but these can be found online)