Console up grade

Audijarvis

Reaction score
I've just purchased a 95 1.6 A4 (I know its slow and it's the base model but it looks great.....on the outside)

I would like to fit a later central console, but which one?

As it doesn't have air con etc I may be limited to which console I can use

I don't want to fit one and have to many redundant switches/functions

Any ideas?

Also a technical question.

If the heater controls manual on this model (direction controlled by mechanical links) would the later/alternative heater core fit?

Would I be able to plug the wiring into my existing loom?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jarvis

I've looked into this and decided the only way to do would be to buy all the parts and convert it to climate control.

I think facelift consoles with manual heater knobs do exist, but they were very very rare, and i've never seen one for sale seperately, only in a base spec facelift car that was for sale

See the post a few down called "aircon retrofit" or something, i detailed some of the parts you'd need in there.

I guess in theory, you could fit the climate control heaterbox, and leave off the AC stuff, just using the electronic climate panel to control it as a normal heating system, but if your going to all that work, it'd be a shame not to complete the job.

Thanks aragon, guess I better start searching flea bay

Would you know if the bulk head (if thats what its mounted to) would be the same?

Which models do you think I should be looking for?

Very few B5's got the double din console, it was only used in cars with the Symphony head unit (and RNS-D (I think))and you will be looking at an MY of 99 or later. I been looking for double din consoles for the B5 for some time but they make very good money on ebay £150 as you also need the double din cage. New from a dealer would cost you around £250+ for the console & cage but remember you would need to replace all the top switches as well, as these are much smaller.

I was able to modifiy a B7 Cab din cage (This is in part made out of alloy but is around £85 compaired to the £30 plasitc version) to fit RNS-E into a B5, it's still a work in progress as I need to have the plastic molding around the switches modified so it extends lower and cover a small gap.

Last edited:
Very few B5's got the double din console, it was only used in cars with the Symphony head unit (and RNS-D (I think))and you will be looking at an MY of 99 or later. I been looking for double din consoles for the B5 for some time but they make very good money on ebay £150 as you also need the double din cage. New from a dealer would cost you around £250+ for the console & cage but remember you would need to replace all the top switches as well, as these are much smaller.

I was able to modifiy a B7 Cab din cage (This is in part made out of alloy but is around £85 compaired to the £30 plasitc version) to fit RNS-E into a B5, it's still a work in progress as I need to have the plastic molding around the switches modified so it extends lower and cover a small gap.

Thanks for the info

You have any pics of the mod you can post?

Considering fitting some micro switches in the ashtray or somewhere out of sight so that takes care of the ugly std switches

Have an :idea: re the Morris Minor style heater nobs (keeping it to myself for now)

All I need to do now is talk the mrs into believing we can't live without a double din stereo:)

I can't at the moment as I'm away working will try and put some up at the weekend. You won't get away with micro switches especially for the hazard warning

I can't at the moment as I'm away working will try and put some up at the weekend. You won't get away with micro switches especially for the hazard warning

Is this because of legal requirements or current draw?

If current would relays not take care of that?

Because the hazard switch isnt just a switch. It houses a circuit board, with all the gubbins to make the indicators flash etc.