Anyone retrofitted aircon

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
There are enough used parts in the scrap yard local to me, so was wondering if anyone has done this before. My only question would be fitting the compressor to the engine. Engine code is ADR.

I've looked into it, and was going to take it on, but some parts i'd lined up fell thru.

You need quite a few bits.

Compressor and bracket, this can come from any 4cyl, and should jsut bolt on.
Aircon pipes and radiator
The actual heaterbox itself is different, so you'll need a complete AC heater box, along with the climate unit, centre console and wiring harness.

Theres also likely the odd bit of extra wiring here and there that you'll have to make up, or patch in, for example the stuff for the electric fans.

You'd have to be pretty attached to the car, or have a particularly good example, to make it worth your while. Isnt the ADR a naturally asthmatic 1.8? Unless its particularly tidy, your probably better off shifting it on and buying a car with it ready fitted, and a turbo engine.

I've had the car for 12 years and put 230K on the clock, it's about to get a major overhaul, engine out interior strip down etc, etc, so figured if I was going to do it now would be the time, wiring harness are not a problem to make up. The only thing would be to pressure test the system for leaks before it's filled.

i'd try to get as much as you can from one donor, and if you find one the same age, it will make it easier to match up the wiring.