Best way to dry a car out

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Yesterday, removed the seats from my 1.8T and vax'd the carpets, which took hours due to the amount of crud in the carpet. The crud the vax pulled out was amazing, but has left the carpets slightly damp. Can anyone recommend a way to dry the car out without setting it on fire! I cannot put the car in a garage so that is out and the car is not being driven at the moment, so it will be stood in that condition for the next 5 days?

As above that what i did when i cleaned mine just put it in the boot pointing towards the front of the car did the job

Cheers will give that a go, I was also thinking about dehumidifier, good or bad idea?

A fan heater will be quicker as you need to warm the moisture in the carpets to release as a vapour & go out the window (you need to have the window open a bit). A dehumidifier will do the job but slower as there is not much heat energy these days to get the moisture out of the carpets.

i'd second the fan heater plus cracked windows approach.

A heater just turns the water into vapour, you need to get it out of the car.

Yes, I've got one but was worried about dropping the humidity to much as it can cause static build up! But then again I was worried about to much humidity in the car........

I would go with the de-humidifier, but just leave it on for a few hours at a time. you will have to empty the drip container anyway ;)

Well I got called away with work, so have had to leave the carpet a bit damp, will get the heaters & de-humidifier running at the weekend.

Ive had to pull mine out to find a water leak over a week ago and its still wet ive got it hung over a radiator as much as i can,, its not the carpet thats wet on mine its all the foam underneath it

Wont the aircon remove moisture as it will demist the glass quickly

Mrs left the window open on my old car, it was soaking!!!.........Get a blow heater, open ONE window just a tiny bit (2-3cm, enough for the moisture to escape). DO NOT put the blow heater on full whack, as they have a heat sensor built in. If the room/space they are in gets too hot a circuit breaker kicks in and the heater will not restart for 10 mins(health and safety regulation). I also put the car heaters on full whack. Took about 5 hours before it was bone dry, but it worked.................!

Removing the carpet is a massive task. the carpet actually runs all the way round the back of the centre console, so even removing he plastic console you still have a bunch of steel in the way. I had to cut mine behind the console in order to remove it, then you have to remove the seats and various trim and it weighs quite a bit especially if the foam backing is soaked.