Need help with buying A4

samku

Reaction score
I have decided to buy an A4, but undecided as to which engine model to go for - 1.8, 19.TDi or the 1.8T. I currently drive an MR2 Turbo, but performance isn’t the main factor for the A4, I’d much rather have a good mix of performance/reliability/fuel economy.

My budget is fairly limited. I don’t want to be spending more than £3500 – that includes P/X’ing my MR2. Do you guys think I could buy a good car for that money? I know the budget is small, but I have seen quite a few M, N and P reg A4’s in Autotrader from £1700 upwards, covering most models. I guess the majority of these are ex-fleet, as they tend to have high miles Do A4’s take high milage well, or should I steer clear of these?

Also, I understand that the TDi comes in 2 flavours, 90bhp and 110bhp. How do you tell the difference between the two?

What are the differences for the 1.8, 1.9 TDi and 1.8T in terms of:

1. Performance
2. Fuel economy
3. Servicing costs – price of cambelt change etc.
4. Reliability

I am quite keen on the 1.8T, but worried about it’s associated costs. How reliable is the turbo; when it does blow, what are the costs involved to repair/replace?

What are the main things I should look out for when looking at an A4?

Are there any A4 buying guides on the web?

Sorry for all the Q’s, but I want to know as much as possible to avoid buying a banger.

Thanks in advance,

Sam