Power Steering Fluid

mugglesquop

Reaction score
Hello.

does anyone know which oil i need for the power steering? on the tank it says about using Mineral Oil.

i used genuine audi stuff about £7 for a litre if i remember correctly

what he said. not worth putting the wrong thing in

then ask yourself what happened to all the old stuff cos a leak is going to have to be fixed

Its a "synthetic mineral" oil.

Audi G002000 = Pentosyn CHF11S

It used to be CHF7.1, which was pure mineral, but audi superceded the same G002000 part number to the newer chf11s type, so if you buy it from audi your getting chf11s anyway.

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_fluid/audi_hydraulic_fluid.shtml

The important bit quoted here:

Audi tech bulletin 48-89-T07 issued in November 1989. It states "The new [synthetic Pentosin 11S] and old hydraulic fluid [non-synthetic Pentosin 7.1] can be mixed if necessary ... the part number [remains] unchanged." So according to Audi, you can mix the 2 Audi hydraulic fluids. Even though the composition of the fluid changed (CHF 11S synthetic mineral oil vs CHF 7.1 non-synthetic mineral oil), Audi didn't even change the part number. All 1990 - on Audi models have come filled from the factory with the synthetic CHF 11S Audi hydraulic fluid (G002000)

do you have a engine pan fitted (plastic thing under the engine?
run your finger between it and the lower edge of the bumper on the left hand side of the car.

bet you it is a bit sticky.
I have the same leak.
Lower PS pipe connection where it goes from rubber to solid lines.
just needs a jubilee clip as it currently has a crappy "use once" clip

do you have a engine pan fitted (plastic thing under the engine?
run your finger between it and the lower edge of the bumper on the left hand side of the car.

bet you it is a bit sticky.
I have the same leak.
Lower PS pipe connection where it goes from rubber to solid lines.
just needs a jubilee clip as it currently has a crappy "use once" clip

i will check, but i had the pan off to do a oil change the other day, and it was all clean then (as far as i can remember).

think its just the fact that its 13 years old. i only checked it as it was due a Inspection II. in the 2 months i've had the car it hasnt gone down any.

it won't be on the pan it is more likely to be on the bottom curve of the bumper.