Tyre quality

Nitro

Reaction score
I have been looking at getting some new alloys they come with Falken FK 452 tyres (225/40 ZR 18 02V). Does anyone know if these are any good at all. Also does anyone know what the offset is for the standard 16 inch 5 spoke alloys on a facelift 2,8q?

Standard offset is ET45.

Most aftermarket rims tend to be ET35-40 though, as they're usually wider, and the lower offset helps them clear the suspension gubbins.

FK452's are probably regarded as a "budget" performance tyre. They've been around a while too. No idea how they perform but past experience with budget performance tyres indicates they tend to be extremely soft and fast wearing, usually grip pretty well in the dry as a result, but wet performance is a bit hit and miss.

If they're brand new, perhaps you can ask for an upgrade? Kumho KU31's get a good write up as a cheap performance tyre.

ive heard good things about those falken from people whose opinions i trust. id give them a shot definately, but im currently on a three year love affair with Kumho Ku31s, i fit them to anything because i think theyre fantastic

Dunlop sport max are VERY good. Best tyres I've had, and I've tried most of the performance and economy tyres. £100 a corner if you can get a good deal.

I have Falkens on mine now. They are pretty good to be fair. I was running federals before hand and they're a little bit grippier than them.

Only had them on a few weeks, and it's been terrible weather ever since i put them on and they've held their own so far... can't complain.

They're a MILLION times better than the crap Fullrun tyres that were on my Fat5's...!

Falken FK452 are good when newish but once they get below 4mm they are pretty poor.

They are an ok budget performance tyre and certianly a lot better than something like Yokohamas A539 which is complete *****. Personally I wouldn't fit them through choice but I wouldn't cry if I got a set of rims with them on

Heh funny you mention the A539... Last time i was at knockhill as a passenger in my mates 1.6 Nova it was slightly damp, we were at one point lapping behind a race prepped 'locost' kitcar. The power to weight ratio of both cars must have been almost identical, as there was very little in it on the streights but thru the corners the locost was squirming all over the road and it was really hampering our times, finally managed to get past thru some crazylate braking and properly left him behind thru the twisty sections.

The nova was on Uniroyal Rainsports, and the locost was on A539's, and given a locost really should be able to trounce a nova round a track, it was clear the tyres were seriously hampering him

The rainsports really impressed me as a road tyre. They're perhaps marginally less grippy in the dry than an eagle f1, but in the wet they are simply awesome, and remain extremely progressive and provide tonnes of feedback.
A mate of mine tried the KU31's, Eagles and Rainsports back to back, and he recons that Eagles got the top spot on a warm dry day, with the Ku31 and Rainsports coming a close second. In the wet, the Rainsports were the best, followed by the KU31, the eagle was odd in that he found it good, perhaps even beating the KU31 on a damp road, but hit anything resembling a puddle and it would result in a complete loss of traction, which in his view made it quite dangerous, as it meant it felt you could push on a little faster than you would have with the KU31, but he felt he couldnt trust them because hitting a puddle while near the limits of grip was very nasty.