Diff fill plug stuck!!!

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
Well its well and trully stuck. Rounded off inside it was that tight and gave it a go with a hammer and puch to get it started but no joy. Is there any other way to get oil in like by pulling the drive shaft out?

if you've got a MIG, stick a close fitting bolt in the hole, thread end first, and blast it with the welder.

The heat will break off the corrosion and it'll just wind out.

If its rounded off thats the only way your going to shift it.

I suppose you could fill it the same way they do with haldex diffs and fill through the drain hole and swap the plug in sharpish

On top of the diff there is a breather covered with a rubber bung. You can fill it trough that if you can reach and have a small probe wich will get trough the hole.

I might try a big easy out as the hole must be about 10mm deep so ill see if there is any at work that fit. I had thought about welding a bolt or nut on but that means going to a garage. I need to do the oil seals anyway and a wheel bearing so i might just fill it that way,im sure you will be able to do it that way. I wasnt going to bother with the seals for a while but looks like i might have too now.

easyouts arent really designed for shifting really badly siezed things like that, and all that will end up happening is the easyout will snap.

I'd take it to a garage and get the welder onto it, because otherwise all you'll end up doing is making it worse.