should i sell or keep my a4 avant b5 1998 ????????

theviking

Reaction score
Hi have had my a4 avant b5 98 model 1.8t for 12 months and hv nt really enjoyed it it look ok no mods just sprayed the front and rear bmpers as tired and german plates thing is i like it but silly things wrong with it like the cup holder is broken, the central locking is iffy, rear midle head rest missing, shelled out 50 for a retractable parcel shelf last month also mot time and needs track rod end and ball joint not 2 mention it is a bit thirsty my old ride was a tdi golf really dont know what to do the wife is due baby boy no 2 in 8 weeks its ideal for kids but will it become a money pit on the plus side it has only 90 on the clock the previous owner didnt love it it took 2 days to f in clean the carpets help !!!!!!!!!:think:

Last edited:
put some pics up... we can then make an informed decision.

To be honest.... you get out what you put in. Every car will cost money in maintainence and whose to say you'll not suffer with the next car. If you got the car cheap from an dis-interested previous owner then what your going through getting it right and dandy is part of the course.

Stick with it. A4s ..... no matter what generation are excellent cars.

Like above put some pics up so we get a better idea

Plus really how much is the track rod end and the ball joint going to cost to fix

Also how much can you sell it for and how much will you have to pay out for a better car when you might have to do work on that as well

wil do soon i kinda know the crack just gets u down at times i only paid 800 for it on bandq car park i v had my share of **** car bugs mk one gti s mk 3 rolfs i do like it cheers

You've said its thirsty a few times...

A B5 1.8T FWD in good working order should return 30MPG+

If its substantially less than this, then either you drive everywhere with your foot welded to the carpet, or theres something wrong with the engine/management, for example a faulty thermostat or coolant sensor.

I've spent a lot on mine... but I love it.

I still continue to spend time & money on it to keep it running. Unless you buy a brand new car, you will ALWAYS be spending money on your cars...

bit less then 30 to the gallon it thirsty though !ha ha i will spend cash on it as hav in the past just seems all goine wrong at once !aggh i do like it it fits well !