A6 2.7 turbo engine in A4?

nomadx

Reaction score
Has this been done before? The engines seem to come up cheaper than s4 ones, but I believe they are the same? Thinking of converting my v6 quattro.

Yep, it should bolt streight in.

A6 subframe is basically the same as the A4 one, so all the mounts and brackets etc should just bolt right on.

Might need a bit of tinkering with the engine harness to car multiplugs but thats about it.

Unless you already have uprated brakes, suspension and a decent gearbox, sell yours and buy an S4!

There's an Imola one for sale at the moment for £3200!

The A6 2.7T's are detuned and I think a bit more of a faff to have remapped.

and... who would "build" a car that you can buy?

Depends if you'd put a lot of work into the existing shell. If its got sorted suspension, brakes, bodywork, interior etc, then not only would you have to buy the S4, but you'd have to redo all the maintenance/upgrades on the new car.

I spent nearly 800quid putting another 1.8T engine into my avant. I could have simply sold it for spares and baught another 1.8T complete, however i know the suspension and brakes are all good on my car, bushes have been replaced and i've added some personal touches. At least this way, i know i've got a car thats mechanically sound, and while doing the engine swap i changed the timing belt, clutch and water pump, so i know those are all good going forward. The replacement car could quite easily have had tonnes of gremlins just waiting to bite me in the ****.

He also has to shift on his own car. If you consider that V6 Quattros will struggle to attain 2k, with very good ones perhaps making 1500-2000, not only would he have to have enough cash to buy the S4 outright, and await the sale of his old car, but an S4 is going to cost a minimum of 3500 for a ropey one thats needing some work, and the 2grand difference there would quite easily pay for an engine, and some new parts like the clutch and belts etc to fit the motor to his car.

You need to weigh up the costs and see where the numbers land. Personally i'd use a V8 motor over a biturbo, but i guess it depends if your happy with an effective "cieling" of 340hp, or want to go wild on a biturbo motor to get 4-500hp.

I know nomadx well and half the fun for him is the building and he's not afraid of getting his hands dirty. Why build something you can buy? Same could be said why spend money tuning a car when you can buy one that does the job?

As said above really lol. I am more interested in the doing than the having if that makes sense lol.

My A4 is far from sorted, I bought it as it was a lovely car and what I really wanted, and have not really modded it bar wheels and stereo as I didn't want to devalue it if I wanted to sell it on, nearly 3 years, nearly 40k later, its worth very little and I won't spend several grand on a new car as I love my A4 and will keep it as long as possible, the fact it is now not worth loads means I have no qualms about modifying it. I know the car well and I love it, not just cos the A4 is a cracking car, but this one is MINE lol, I would be gutted if I sold it and bought a S4 that turned out to be a pup!

Steve (Oranoco) knows me well enough to know I will not pay loads for the engine, I will happily wait for one to come along for the right money, ideally I will get one and have it on the stand getting refreshed then get it into the car, its no worries if its off the road for a while as I have a couple of others I can use if need be.

Fancied the S4 conversion for a while, but the engines go for loads, so hearing that the A6 one will go in makes me very happy! Just need to find one I can liberate the running gear from now, or a whole smashed one! It will give me loads of pleasure to do a conversion as I have never undertook a big job like a engine swap on a Vag, or anything this modern, and I love to learn new things!

I'll come and give you a hand and I'll get Matt in as well. Can even get Chris along, I know he's of no help at all but he does give us all somebody to laugh at

Good luck with the project. Well worth keeping an eye out for a cheap S4/RS4 brake setup though!

But if you have all the stuff from s4 it will bolt straight on?

If I do it, and its a big if, just depends on if a engine / car comes up really. Then I will gather the bits to have it over 230bhp. Might well be worth me getting hold of some of the s4 bits for ease of fitment I guess. Will be a case of pulling the current engine out and seeing whats what!

Re: the gearbox, what are the differences between S4 and V6q?

Oranoco - always good to have Chris there, the boy cracks me up! As you know it will be a ongoing project, will give me a excuse to run the e30 for a couple months lol

S4 is a 6 speed isn't it? And looks like the A6 is, I wonder if the A6 box would go.

Yeh the A6 box will go in, however you'll need to ensure the diff ratios match with the rear axle, which might mean changing the rear diff too.

why have you not suggested 'stick a v8 in it' yet? cheaper than a 2.7tt and more power out the box, and the noise too :d (not that the s4 sounds ****, its just not a v8 noise)

Engine and everything to make it work on pistonheads just now from an s4.

Hmm are you sure it will be cheaper to put V8 than V6BT?
I've read through siena's thread and guy from audizine and it doesn't look that cheap...
Don't forget that with 2.7BT you get everything for A4 and there is no custom job to do.

The only custom components i'm aware of for the V8 swap is the engine mountings and the exhaust.

I guess the flywheel could be considered custom too, although a standard audi one work work fine, they're just extremely rare.

You could use a 40v engine, which would mean the engine mounts and flywheel were easier to solve (ie you can use off the shelf C5 A6 ones), however i'm not sure how easily the 40v engine would fit into a B5.

Yeah, siena had custom made flywheel.
Which audi one would fit to V8 a4?

European S8's had a manual option, but the flywheel is £450 new and obviously they're not particularly easy to come across on the second hand market. UK only got an Auto option.

Afaik it was TTV-Racing that made sienas flywheels and they were more like £250ish, so it kinda makes sense to go custom.

In Siena's thread there is a picture of V8BT from RS6 and it barely fits.
aragorn - any idea which engine mounts were used? Was it from A8 and modified?

AFAIK Siena had custom solid aluminium mounts fabricated (sure Aragorn will correct me if I'm wrong).

Yep he had mounts made up.

tbh its just a case of sticking the engine into place, getting everything sat level, then mocking up some mounts from cardboard or wood as a template, then making a steel or alloy version of the template. Its probably about the most fiddly part of the whole conversion in my view.

I would love to do that but not sure if I cope with everything myself.
I will see when will get cheap B5 and then will be looking at engines to swap.