Anthracite. What colour is it in real life?

AB5QTS

Reaction score
Hello peeps.

Getting my alloys refurbed soon and fancy going Anthracite but was told that it has a bluey tinge to it. Can I get some personal views of those who have the colour? If it too blue I may go to a medium dark silver. Have to have a look at some swatches. Have seen some pics on here but it's hard to really see true colour.

Cheers

You could have them in gun metal grey

My dad has his MV6 wheels on his omega sprayed in 'Antracite' and when they're clean, they do have a strong blue tinge. Quite odd if you ask me. lol. Personally, I would choose gun metal, or hyper silver?

The old Volvo 850 R and Subaru P1 have anthracite wheels. Pics of those should show you the colour.

My Bolero's are meant to be anthracite too.

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

Hmm, i like that color! Mine were supposed to come out like that, but clearly they're completely different, more browney/green than blue.

Any idea on the color code or a full paint name?

Sorry I can not help, I had them done at a local powder coaters and he said that was as close as he had to anthracite. They were already anthracite as well as I had them done when I first bought the car and got them redone 4 years later when I got new centre caps and wanted an exact match.

Some forums must have the paint code for P1 wheels or maybe RS6 plus?

I baught a tin of Ford Graphite Grey at the weekend, so i'm going to do the grille in that and see how it looks.

Preliminary googling seems to suggest its more of a plain dark grey, but thats preferable to the silly color they are just now.

Proper anthracite as you've shown would be excellent though. Craig had his CH's done in that color, and they look really good.

If you go to a powder coaters (and some wheel refurbers I guess) they will generally have RAL or BS colours. They have a number or code and description, have a look here for an example:

http://www.ifspowdercoating.co.uk/colour_charts.htm

7016 Anthracite Grey

I've just got my Bolero's back from powdercoating, but it's a dark alloy silver. I'm awaiting the RAL No. to paint the centre caps. Will get some pics up.

Cheers for the info guys. Soupie69uk, thanks for the clear pics. Photos are so hard to go on as the ones on the grass without tyres look quite grey where as the ones on the car look alot darker. Different light conditions and screen calibration are all coming into effect. I'll just have to make this life changing:ermm: decision on the day using my mans colour swatches.

Regards

Soupies color looks like RAL 7016 - Anthracite Grey, but RAL 7016 is a solid color, so presumably the coater has added some metallic flake into the mix?

I cant find any color simply called ford grey metallic, hence buying the Ford Graphite Grey Metallic instead.

So what you're all saying here is that there is no true Anthracite. Just variations from different companies. Yep I think I'll deff go on how I feel on the day:confused:

Ye its like saying "what color is red". Every car manufacturer will have its own take on red, and even reds that might look similar when viewed alone, can look completely different when side by side.

Now you see. Even known colours have different colour ranges. Think I might just go bling gold...... :slap:

Last edited:
I had a Rover Coupe in Anthracite. Odd colour, looked black in murky weather but get the sun on it and it had blue and metallic grey in it. Along with a nice sparkle.

OverFront.jpg

Looks blue in this picture. You might be able to see more of it in this picture...

OverSide.jpg

Any help?

Had an anthracite powdercoated finish on my last car's wheels. Was such a nice subtle colour. Had flake in it too so it really shone when the sun was on it :)

Sometimes looked really moody and in other lights was a really nice grey colour that complimented the car well

Some pics of them:

wheels1zj1.jpg

wheels2eo1.jpg

wheels4vk7.jpg

wheels5gd9.jpg

le01xj0.jpg

le04vk7.jpg

04qb3.jpg

05yt3.jpg

From Wiki : Anthracite (Greek aνθρακίτης (anthrakítes), literally "a type of coal", from άνθραξ (ánthrax), coal) is a hard, compact variety of mineral coal that has a high lustre. It has the highest carbon count and contains the fewest impurities of all coals, despite its lower calorific content.

heymynameismark nice pics. Can see the colour change its look at different angles etc. Love the one of the toy in the back of the seat agasp at your alloy.