A4 lowered long or short term shock damage?

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A couple of months back I picked up a 1997 1.8T A4 which had been lowered at some point and the ride is appalling. So I want to put the standard springs back on the car, which I know ill make it ride a little high but should improve the ride comfort.

The question is would putting the lowering springs on the standard Audi shocks damage them, I've go no idea how long they have been on the car, or how long the car has been lowered.

Should I see what it's like back on original spring or just replace the lot?

If you go trough the hassle of replacing the springs, you might as well replace the shocks as they seem shagged to me-hence the bad ride quality...

What spec is the car?

If its an SE it has tractor style ride height and soft spongy shocks from new, Sport models have stiffer lower springs and uprated shocks from the factory.

What exactly is wrong with the ride, and how low does the car sit. I've been in a few lowered A4's and they ride just fine.

As with anything, if its taken to the extreme it will be crap, but a small drop over stock shouldnt affect too much.

Personally, instead of remortgaging your house to buy new OE springs/shocks, i'd take a look at a good quality aftermarket kit. Something like Eibach Springs with Bilstein B6 or Eibach Pro Shocks works well, or you can plump for the full kits like Bilstein B12 or Koni SSK. Also bear in mind when it says "lowers 30mm" its referring to the non-sport rideheight, so it will probably only lower a sport car by 10mm.

I'd say change the lot for a good quality matched springs and shocks set. It'll be more cost effective and also give you better ride and handling quality.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Where are you based...?

I have a full set of standard Sport springs & shocks available for a small fee. They are in very good condition.

Let me know if you're interested...

Definitely interest in the shocks and springs, I based in the North East but not problem traveling to pick up etc.

I believe the car is SE spec and not the sport version, not 100% sure on that so will check on etka tonight. I had a good look at the shocks and they are the genuine Audi shocks but the springs are aftermarket. I've always believe if you going to lower a car you buy the shocks and springs to match rather than just replace the spring, which is what has happened to this A4.

Sports are reasonably easy to identify, 3 spoke steeringwheel with the /// badge and seats with proper side bolsters are the two obvious ones, they also got a larger front antiroll bar.

Otherwise look at the logbook. It will either say SE or Sport (or nothing if its a proper poverty spec car!) ;)

O well it's "poverty spec car" but I don't care, it's being cleaned up and put back to standard:icon_thumright:

Sorry that wasnt meant to be offensive, just a turn of phrase used to describe the basic spec car.

http://i.ebayimg.com/19/!!rfWg%29!CG0~$%28KGrHqEOKkUEtkdQF3EoBL,vRWkC1w~~_12.JPG

Thats the ride height to expect if you fit standard springs, looks silly imo.

Sorry that wasnt meant to be offensive.

No offence taken, fully understand the term. Both the B5's I have are SE spec. I know they ride far to high on the standard springs, but I'm not looking to do any major modifications to the just tring to get it look as it should have done, before the last owner got hold of it.

Hello mate. I hav't got any struts, but I do have a full set of sports factory springs. If you want them you can have them. I can't see me ever needing them again. Nothing wrong with them, and the ride was pretty good when they were on the car. Got lower ones now to go with the alloys/spacers I got. You will have to find out whether they would fit or not. They came off a 98 2.8 v6 quattro avant. Yours for the price of p & p!

Hi

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure if they would fit or work properly as I have a saloon and my shocks are non sport, etka is showing different part number for sport shocks and standard.

Cheers for the offer.

The rears wouldnt fit as they're for a quattro.

Fronts would go on, but since the car is not a v6 the spring rates would be wonky.

Fair/valid point mate! If anyone else wants them pm me. Up for grabs for the price of ****** all!