Key fob battery and c/l question

olds_cool

Reaction score
Hi all, i've just aquired a 96 a4 quattro 2.6 and am loving it!

One of the issues on my things to fix list is (like a lot of you...) my non remote central locking.

The previous owner says he preplaced the batteries in the remot (4 batteries, one button remote) The little LED still doesnt light so wondering if he got the right ones? Anyone advise what i need?

the batteries in my fob say 386x Silver line.

The c/l works fine off the key, all interior lights/windows work well if that's any help.

I've also gotten hold of a 3 button flip key, p/n 820 837 231 D can this be used on my 96 car?

Thanks in advance.

Raj.
progress.gif

crap username!

post a pic of your fob, doesnt sound o.e you sure its even remote locking and not an aftermarket alarm? would expect a 96 to have infra red system which ive never actually come accross
also whats the part number of your central locking pump
part number of the key you have is it 8z0 or 820 pretty sure it wont work

finally got round to looking for my pump, p/n is 4a0 862 257j it also has 8tz 006 522-06 the I'll get the key photos uploadd asap and the car has those sensors on the door pillars. I just changed the batteries again and still no LED so maybe button isnt working? I cant see how to get to the button short of cutting into it!

my key looks like this one side:
audiKey01.jpg

and has the 2 buttons on the other. blade doesnt fold.

is yours the same?

no mate, nothing like that, mine has one big fat button, numbers on the key are g011 278a 1w

That's not a genuine Audi key, if you have remote central locking it must be an after market system.

might be genuine but ive never come across an early model with ir system only later rf ones

id say it would be easier to fit one of those ebay kits a few people on here have fitted them

Someone put a link to a web site that sell's remote central locking systems and for the life of me I cannot find the post, it was only about a week ago...

As far as I'm aware it is the factory stuff but as I can't seem to get it to work I may well just transfer the clifford from my old car in that case seeing as it just has the factory stuff.