Turbo Issue Questions

dann959

Reaction score
Lately I have had loss in boost and have been getting an engine light. When I clear the light I get my chipped boost back but after awhile i slowly loose boost and and eventually the car feels like I have less than stock boost and the engine light goes back on. Peridically i also hear a clicking sound from what I suspect is the turbo my acceleration is also not vey smooth its choppy when I hear the clicking. I have 62k on my car and I have a feeling the turbo bearings are having problems. My question is is it worth it to get the turbo worked on/rebiult? How much US$ does a turbo rebuild usually go for? Is it worth it to get a KO4? If I got a k04 what other parts would I have to get? Would a downpipe be necessary? Would a catback be necessary? How long and how much does a tpical k04 instillation go for?

all i know, is that i would go for a k04 instead of rebuilding an old turbo. you would need a diverter valve and ecu programing for boost. downpipes and catbacks would be a plus but not necessary...cost... not too sure.. but its worth it instead rebuilding the old one.

I have a b5 a4 and I really do feel the turbo is on its way out. I think the little ko3 has had one hell of a ride and the bearings are starting to go. My theory about the bearings is because of the clickng sound and the jerky acceleration.

When is a good idea to replace the KO3??? I'm thinking about getting a turbo kit in the future, maybe around 75-80K miles...

[ QUOTE ]
GoSPeeDxRaCeR said:
that sounds like a possibility... go for the ko4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! K04 is an amazing turbo! I changed my S4's turbos and got K04...very nice

G

I have one and boy then can handle a lot of boost and they hold it really well it just seems to keep on coming.

My two turbos were around 2500$ with a remap. But at the time, the exchange rate between USD and Swiss francs was 1.69... now it's 1.27! I bought them modified by sportec!

G