Which exhaust clamps?..

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
Which are best? I'm thinking the U clamp as I'd imagine it creates more clamping pressure?..
u_clamp.jpg
ring_clamp1.jpg
ring_clamp2.jpg

Yeah I've always used the U clamps too. The join will be visible from the engine bay so I though the ring clamp (bottom pic) might be more aesthetically pleasing. Suppose it's a case of stick with what you know hey.

I have had had this dilema. apparently Mikalor is what you want, but i have had to look at other options due to cost. If i was worried about looks i wouldnt have welded my own DP,lol

Hmmm I like the Audi sleeve thingy.. I'll see what diameter I can get hold of. Maybe somebody does a large version as it seems like a good design.

The Mikalor ones will be top of the list if I can't get a sleeved one.

Cheers.

I used the middle and bottom clamps in your picture and they rust away to nothing (literally nothing!) as if they weren't stainless.
My miltek came with them and as I can't find any 76mm and 70mm sleeve clamps I had to do the same this time.
The U clamps are the best but bulky

U-Clamps are the worst type of exhaust clamp, especially when the sleeve join isn't a nice snug fit. They crush the pipes rather that clamping and reducing the circumference.

Mikalor are good if the join doesn't need much clamping, they are very slim too. The oe vag clamps are good and last ages, but a lot thicker and wider than mikalors.