Rear speakers blown

AND73W

Reaction score
Hi, Not long after I bought my B5 recently the rear speakers blew. I wasn't hammering the tunes out or aynthing like that, they just blew. They look lke the original speakers.

I hope to buy some new ones this week, but can anyone tell me what size I need to get?

Also, is it common for speakers to just blow, or could it be incorrect wiring by the previous owner? This has never happened on any of my other cars and some have been older.

Any help would be great!

i think the B5 are ***** when it comes to spoeakers. my old A4 had ******** rear speakers and now my S4 which has bose system also has the rears blown out, i jus unplugged them and will fit a little sub to give that little extra base i lost from the rears. measure the onesyou have and then that will tell you wot size you need, you need to take them anyway so measure when out.

the rear shelf speakers have a square fitting at the base you can get adaptors however i dont recommend them.

If your car has a Bose system it is 2ohm which dose not leave you with a lot of choice for replacements. My rear shelf, subs had gone too so I replaced mine with Kicker CVT 65 they are available in both 2 & 4 ohm. You can get them to fit by using the cone/adapter when you remove the old speakers. It takes a bit of work but its will fit like OE units & the Kickers sound great.

If it's the non Bose system and you are running the stock HU then you can't just replace the speakers as the left one has the rear amp built into it. If you have an aftermarket HU then there's no problem as you can simply rewire them back to the HU. They are 6.5" coxials BTW and as said you will need adapters.

Thanks for the replies.

The head unit is sony, so does that mean I can just buy new rear speakers and not have to worry about he amp? I'm not sure why I need the adapter, it looks like they would just slot in? If I do need it where do I get it from?

I really appreciate the help guys. I used to have an old mercedes 190 and there was a forum just like this for extra info and stuff.

Thnx, andy

the rear shelf speakers have a square fitting at the base you can get adaptors however i dont recommend them.

Why don't you recommend them? Can I install them without these?

if they are anything like the front adapters poor fitting basically, when i changed the stock fronts they sounded worse!
with regard to your rears if they are standard stock speakers you will need to remove the whole rear shelf and watch for the high level brake light plug you will have to unplug it from the boot. you may be able to see from the boot that they have a square hole
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1884.html

It's just the rear shelf cover, it simply pops up and slides out, but is only easy if you have folding rear seat backs.
The adapters are OK for the rear, and at least they are installed onto a metal rear deck as opposed to the flimsy doorcards the front ones use. Also check the wiring, as the previous owner may have already rewired them to the Sony and that would explain why they blew so easily as they would have over twice their rated power going to them (the stock rear amp is a puny 2 x 20w).
With the adapters you can install pretty much any 6.5" coxial speaker.

It's just the rear shelf cover, it simply pops up and slides out, but is only easy if you have folding rear seat backs.

does anyone know how to get the shelf out as my rear seats don't fold.