EM TuningVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Smoke on Start-Up

I have a 1.8 TQS and noticed that when I start the engine the first 5 seconds or so, it smokes from the tailpipes, as in burning oil. This only seems to happen at the start of it being run that day.
    I'm thinking that either the turbo is weeping oil or the engine is letting oil through somewhere. The engine is on 140k and I don't know if the turbo has been replaced. None of the history I have indicates any turbo replacement at least.

Before I investigate further I was wandering if anyone has had the same symptoms and whether the problem is more likely to be turbo or engine related.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Silly question, what colour is the smoke? White, Grey, Black or maybe steam?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    If its happening on the first start up that kinda indicates valve stem oil seals, although adding a turbo into the mix can muddy the results.

Warm the engine up, then leave it idling for 5 mins, and then bring it up to 3k and see if it smokes, although again, that wouldnt really help narrow down turbo or oil seals

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    It's grey (mixed with water vapour from cat) then turns white (just water vapour) after 5 secs or so.

It can't see it being unburned fuel as the lambda doesn't start working until it's warmed up. I'm sure it doesn't smoke after it's warmed up (although I will double check).