Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Fuel pump replaced on 2.5tdi now wont pull diesel up

I replaced the in tank fuel pump on my 1998 A4 2.5TDi avant quattro as it wasn't feeding fuel up to the filter. Now when false feeding the pump on the plug at the tank end I cant get the new pump to even throw some diesel out. Starting to think the old pump was OK as I could hear it running but no fuel was being sent up the pipe.
    Anyone know why it wont feed fuel? I have correct polarity on pump socket and plenty of diesel in the tank.
    John.

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    There was a thread before that claimed the fuel pump in the tank on a 2.5tdi is only there to move fuel from the various "cavities" in the tank into the main area.

Apparently, the main fuel pickup occurs by the VP44 on the engine actually sucking the fuel up itself.

Since you've seen the pipe work, are you sure the in tank pump actually connects to the fuel lines?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add diffas on Facebook Visit diffas's Youtube Channel
    Aragorn is right. VP44 has internal lift pump which sucks from the tank. If the fuel lines are empty you need suck it manually through the filter until it is full of diesel.
    Replace your fuel filter in case it leaks air.
    Slow and smoking - A4 2.5TDi+ 220+kw

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys,
    My worry here is you may be right. The fuel pump hose goes into the return piping connectors within the tank.
    I will try a suction pump to prime the system and as you say put a new filter on and hopefully that might work. My fear here is that when the feed hose was dry I automatically thought the fuel pump in the tank wasn't providing the low pressure side of the diesel.
    My original fault code was 01318 which tells me the "control module for injection pump". Back to the drawing board then.
    John.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Just to really brighten up your day, these injection pumps are known for terminal failure, and i dont like the sounds of that fault code...

http://www.go-audi.com/13643-audi-a6...g-problem.html

Could well be deep pockets time

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/01318

That has a weird bit under "special notes", might be worth an email?

Neutral

Status
    Thanks. Have just sent them an email.
    Not looking good is it? Ouch. Think the pumps are over 1,000.
    Going to do some more digging. I will let you know if I get it going or scrap the whole bl00dy thing.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Don't worry. http://www.vp44diesel.de/english and it will be fixed in no time. And costs like 1/4 of the new.

6th Gear

Status
    I would get in touch with dieselbob and send the pump to him to refurbish. He will fit new cam plate, rebuild the rotor head, new bearings and will fit a Brand New control unit toghether with new stop solenoid and advance solenoids for 600 + VAT... You cannot get any better than that really ! All this and a full year warranty does it for me as i really dont trust no one to tinker with a delicate "die cast" state of the art electronics...no matter how good they are ! Also, 380 euros isnt cheap at all for a half job...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Riight. :D

1st Gear

Status
    Similar thing on mine, turned out to be the nonreturn valve next to the hand primer, 5 mins fixed it, now starts everytime

J
    1996 A4 B5
    1.9TDI SE

Gone but not forgotten
    Audi A4 2.5TDI Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 1.9SDI (Wont be missed lol)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Patterson Up in Fife will refurb your Vp44 for better price, theyve just done one for me nd they are bosch agents

100% top job

Alrite big J ;-)

Neutral

Status
    I found a fix for this on another forum. Turns out most of the failures on this pump are down to failure of a transistor inside the EDC unit attached to the pump. There is an online video that shows you how to remove the EDC with the pump still on the car to send it away for testing and repair if faulty. It can then be re-installed at a lot less cost than buying a full new unit at over 1,000. I shall post up how I get on with my repair.
    John.

4th Gear

Status
    Just a stupid question but does it have immo on the pumps ?
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

6th Gear

Status
    I cannot stress how delicate these things are, you will most likely damage the the ribon cable from the speed sensor or drop a screw inside wich you wont be able to take it out ! You still wanna get it done cheap ! Spend 600-700 pounds and have it done properly with a new brain/Control Unit. I have oppened a few of these and as much as i would love to say i fixed one, there is no way you can do-it. You cannot fit a second hand one as well as its calibrated to the pump, thats were the labour money goes in to-4 hours on the test bench adjusting the output...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    I cannot stress how delicate these things are, you will most likely damage the the ribon cable from the speed sensor or drop a screw inside wich you wont be able to take it out ! You still wanna get it done cheap ! Spend 600-700 pounds and have it done properly with a new brain/Control Unit. I have oppened a few of these and as much as i would love to say i fixed one, there is no way you can do-it. You cannot fit a second hand one as well as its calibrated to the pump, thats were the labour money goes in to-4 hours on the test bench adjusting the output...
    Yep. I understand what you are saying but I got it started after the "fix". Then it died after about a minute. The transistor that I replaced was overheating. I think this drives the fuel quantity spooling solenoid on the side which might mean the solenoid is faulty as well. I've messed about with the EDC unit while it is still on the car so I dont have a problem with dropping the T10 torx screws into the pump. I'm committed to trying to get this working as it will now require a new/reconditioned pump as you have said.
    John.