A/S/RS4 differences

• Thread starter imported_Fire_Freak
  • Start date
I

imported_Fire_Freak

morning everybody, sorry if this is beat to death, I'm new and I tried searching but was unsuccessful, but what are the differences between the A4, S4, and RS4? From my understanding the RS4 was never imported into the US but i'm not sure of that. On the B5 chassis what is the preferred year?

thanks,

Matthew W.

Ok then:

1- A4 is the main chassis... there is A4 saloon and A4 station (or avant)
2- The A4 comes with different engines
3- The S4 is a sport version of the A4. It has a small difference in it's body but the chassis is the same. It has a 2.7 bi-turbo engine that produces around 250bhp (in the US) and 265bhp (in europe and the rest). It also has the full sports package (i.e. sport suspension, bigger brakes....)
3- The RS4 has the same engine as the S4 with some differences such as bigger turbos, different pipes, bigger air box, bigger intercoolers.... everything is just bigger and it produces 380bhp.
4- The RS4 comes only in station wagon (or avant) and has 18" wheels....

I don't know if they have it in the States but the S4 is available

This is the basic information... and in my opinion, always look for the last model (last year the model was produced) and you have your winner.

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:

3- The S4 is a sport version of the A4. It has a small difference in it's body but the chassis is the same. It has a 2.7 bi-turbo engine that produces around 250bhp (in the US) and 265bhp (in europe and the rest). It also has the full sports package (i.e. sport suspension, bigger brakes....)
G

[/ QUOTE ]

Question on this. You say bhp? To me that means brake horsepower, or at the wheels. From my understanding the car is rated at 250 hp, which is at the crank. Have I been wrong and I really have 250 awhp? It doesn't seem that fast.

Typically Brake Horse Power is quoted at the crankshaft and the 265BHP that Audi quote is at the crank. Four wheel drive cars will lose something in the order of 30% in transmission losses which would result in a (at the wheels BHP) of 175BHP.

There are major internal differences between the Cosworth designed and built RS4 2.7 V6 Twin Turbo and the Audi built one in the B5 S4.