Just bought 2.8 quattro some help please?

Padz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well i sold my 2.6 and now got a 2.8 quattro, its a 97 with 121k on it and fsh. However it has a few issues which concern me - now im no mechanic so please bear with me if these are minor faults -

1, When i press the brake pedal the abs cuts in immediatley.
2, The temp guage takes ages to move and it only sits 1/4 of the way up.
3, The car pulls to the left and the steering wheel sits off centre (tracking?>)
4, kinda raspy noise from the exhaust, (only way i can describe is it sounds like an e30 bmw with a scorpion exhaust lol)
5, The 2 guages either side of the speedometer and the heater control illumination is not working.

Thats it i think - its flashing up inspection 2 so it will go in for that work on tues and i will get my mechanic to address the other issues, i just wanted to get some idea as to what the problems above are - the abs and temp guage worry me a bit..

Appreciate any answers here :yes:

Hi mate, quick reply for some ideas

1-Possibly ABS sensor problem, mechanic will be able to investigate more accurate.
2-Sounds like a thermostat problem, new unit needed.
3-Tracking will correct the steering position, and maybe the problem with the pulling to one side, but sticky caliper may be to blame also.
4-More than likely a joint or other has corroded near a silencer and is giving you that "racy" exhaust note!:p

Good luck and hope the repairs are cheap and simple, and get sum pics up.:arco:

Haha racy! i like it.
Thanks for the answers mate you have put my mind at rest, so im thinking its ok to drive it with these faults, im not going anywhere far just to work and back a few miles a day.
Will get some pics up but it looks gash just now as the prev owner has fitted lexarse lights and it has a horrid spoiler and its sitting like a q7, still ill get some pics up when its had a bath.
Cheers!

pulling to the side may be the front controll arms being worn. When mine were goosed when i braked the car would dive to the right due to the movement in the front arms.

2. Is more likely coolant temp sender. If it was the stat it would get to 90 when idling for 10 minutes with the heater off.
Also check the paperwork and see when the timing belt was changed as it's every 80k miles or 5 years, so it should have been done twice by now. It's a big job as the whole front end has to come off.

OK thanks for that guys ill get on the case asap, car is going in tomo night so ill get my mech to sort all that.

having a word with vagcom will answer both the stat/cts and abs question for you.

as for the stat, its a pain, you may as well do the cambelt at the same time etc

A missing tooth from a abs rotor ring will make the abs cut in when braking becasuse the abs ecu thinks one of the wheels is locking up.

Thanks for the advice ill check that out.