Pre to face boot lid swap

floyd 1.8 turbo

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre
Reaction score
Will a facelift bootlid directly fit onto my pre? I know it will fit but are bolt holes in correct place and are wiring plugs the same?

Can this be a straight swap??

TA!

The one you're after (mine) doesn't have the in-boot wiring loom with it - you'd need to use your existing loom... as it attaches to the main car loom. Not sure how the pre-facelift wiring works, but I'd guess that it's not a completely straight forward job.

All the connectors are there and working... just need to see if anyone here knows what's involved with the swap-over.

pre facelift uses air line for locking system facelift is electric so its not a straight swap

The pre-facelift cars have a mechanical pop, with a normal locking mechanism on it, run from the CL pump, like the door locks.

Facelift cars dont "lock" they just have an electronic solenoid that opens the bootlid, and a pair of microswitches on the lid to activate the solenoid when the car is unlocked.

You'd need a facelift central locking pump and associated loom, if you wanted to fit a facelift tailgate.

Sorry to butt in here but will the facelift tails fit pre-face cars without modification?

The units will swap over mate, but there is a pin swap on the plugs thats needed as the reverse light has changed position. Simple procedure, just fiddly!!!:keule:

The units will swap over mate, but there is a pin swap on the plugs thats needed as the reverse light has changed position. Simple procedure, just fiddly!!!:keule:

Thanks Foxmeister - you saved the day again!! I think my mechanic will be up to that. Cheers again pal :)

Ok thanks all, sounds like it may be quite a mission so as i dont really have the time i think i'll pass, already got enough to do so shouldn't really get involved!! Thanks for the help though chaps

Sorry to reopen this thread but I just wondered if anyone had any more luck or information on swapping a Facelift tailgate onto a Pre Facelift A4 B5.

I have a '98 Avant.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks aragorn.

So it's as easy as a facelift pump and rear loom? Would you know if the boot release is controlled by the pump?

I guess I will need a 3 button key reprogrammed with a boot release?

You'd need to find the wiring diagram (look on ebay for elsawin) for PFL and FL pumps and see whats involved. If theres enough similarity you might get away with simply adding pins to your existing harness, but if the harness is majorly different you'll be having a big headache unless your good with wiring.

The boot release is controlled by the pump. The "open" buttons goto the pump, and if the pump is happy that the boot should be opened (ie the car is unlocked) the pump fires the solenoid.

You'll need a 3 button fob most likely yes, but you may find your existing two button fob will work ok.

The pump I have is 8L0 862 257 H.

RCL is not a factory fitted one.

I guess this isn't as straightforward as it seems due to the lack of information so thanks for any pointers in the right direction.

You'd need to find the wiring diagram (look on ebay for elsawin) for PFL and FL pumps and see whats involved. If theres enough similarity you might get away with simply adding pins to your existing harness, but if the harness is majorly different you'll be having a big headache unless your good with wiring.

The boot release is controlled by the pump. The "open" buttons goto the pump, and if the pump is happy that the boot should be opened (ie the car is unlocked) the pump fires the solenoid.

You'll need a 3 button fob most likely yes, but you may find your existing two button fob will work ok.

Ive decided to go ahead and try and fit the facelift tailgate whilst im doing the rs4 widebody. Are all these posts related to getting the tailgate to open on the central locking? ie, if i fitted it as is would the tailgate unlock just by using the key? I might look into possibly making the pfl locking system fit the facelift but ill have to take a closer look. Ive got the internal wiring for the facelift tailgate.