URGENT timing belt - water pump question

I

imported_Yaseen

Just got a call from the garage as they are working on the car at the moment.- apparently as i have early A4, i only need the timing belt and tensioners doing as my water pump is on a seperate side and not linked in any way- apparently this changed on later A4`s and my water pump doesnt need changing unless it leaks- if it did leak or break wouldnt affect the timing belt etc

is this correct?

Yaseen,

From an earlier post by Drew2226 it is apparently only the B6 model which needs the water pump done at the same time. Anything pre 2001 can be done separately.

If you do a search for timing belt on the search facility you should come across the previous post. Its a very recent one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I was beginning to fret /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif...doesnt inspire you with confidence when they add to the conversation "your bumper fell apart when we were taking it off" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Although bumper was cracked and is being replaced on Monday- still didnt expect to hear that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:

I was beginning to fret /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif...doesnt inspire you with confidence when they add to the conversation "your bumper fell apart when we were taking it off" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Dear ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

My water pump on my B5 runs off the timing belt, it depends on the engine, 1.8T's run off the same belt as well.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
My water pump on my B5 runs off the timing belt, it depends on the engine, 1.8T's run off the same belt as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that all 1.8T engines then. Mines is a 03/2000 1.8T Quattro Sport and I'm looking to get it done soon. If its not is there any easy way I can check apart from trust the garage ?

The information I was given was in respect to B5 1.8Ts. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sorry, I did think an A3 was an A4, and vice versa.
I didn't realise Audi redesigned the whole engine for each different variation.

Listen mate, you're making yourself sound like one of those 16 year old computer geeks who's ALWAYS right. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that. Your input on this matter has not really been very helpful, and frankly I get the feeling that you use these forums mainly as a means to showing everybody how 'clever' you are.

I use this forum to seek assistance or offer assistance, not to have arguments. I'll agree to disagree on this one. However, if you want to carry on being immature then I'm sorry, but I just won't reply.

Drew.

"Your input on this matter has not really been very helpful"
apart from the fact that I answered the guys question based on factual experience.
If that's showing off how clever I am then you must have a very low opinion of cleverness.
Your contribution led the guy to believe the pump didn't need changing, which would have had expensive consequences.
I know this as I made the same mistake (or Audi did) and I nearly lost most of my 30 valves as my pump started to grind to a halt 15k miles after I'd spent £800 having the timing belt changed. Not impressed. So with my wifes 1.8T I made sure that the pump was changed at the same time.
Experience I would like to pass on, hardly "showing off"

You've managed to say something constructive; well done!!!

Three cheers for Andymac!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

As I started this thread, at the risk of getting caught in the crossfire may I ask for this to end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Shame this misunderstanding has occured as your both top blokes in my book- Drew always helpful eg that last post he wrote for someone considering buying an a4 and the answer I got regarding his TB post really put my mind to rest. And Andy who is one of the foundations of this forum, eg everyones first point of call for any Ice issues and reponsible for the legend that is the AndyMac sub!

can you either forget or agree to dis-agree.

pretty please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yes, well said Yaseen. No hard feelings Andymac. Just a bit of p*ss-take in my book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love_4.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

To clear this up once and for all :)

V6 engine : Timing belt has to come off to do the water pump.

1.8 (turbo AND non-turbo) : timing belt does NOT need to some off to do water pump.

Don't confuse A4 1.8Ts with A3/Golf 1.8T's. These cars have a different setup.
The A4 1.8T has an intermediate shaft whereas the A3/Golf 1.8T has the water pump in this area.

So in answer to the original question, no Yaseen, your water pump won't affect the timing belt.

Let me know if you want to see any pics.

Thanks for clearing that up mate. By the way Andymac, I don't doubt your knowledge in the slightest. I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more than me. But everybody gets it wrong once in a while.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Just move on.

Drew.