VAGcom cable question

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
I want to get myself a cable so I can reset my service lights and check fault codes on my 96 A4. There are loads of different ones on E-Bay and I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Does anybody know if the same cable can be used to read a 99 Passat?

They will both be fine with the same cable. I have heard some bad stories about ebay ones, so I got one from Gendan and it's been fine. Bit tight to get int the plug with a B5 (as they are) but it does go in, snug. I hear some cables don't fit at all.

blue usb one that you find on ebay is fine, i was using one of these for ages and am just going to buy the proper rosstech vcds one. the ones on ebay are mostly k-line only, this does the older cars like you mention. new models require canbus, and you really should get the genuine article for these.

Last edited:
Looks like the same pic as the one I ordered from E-Bay. Hope to have it tomorrow as there was an e-mail first thing today saying it was posted.

to get it into my s4 i had to file the top little notch off, went in easily after that. i have both the blue/clear and a black one. both needed the little notch removed

You can reset the services lights on the dash mate, i cant remember how thou

If it's service or oil change indicators (where the miles usually shows up) you can do that with a couple of step-by-steps. I did it just recently :)

Something like:

A4 1998-1999
Press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. "OIL" or "SERVICE OIL" will appear in display.
Release button. Pull out button on left side of instrument panel until "---" or "SERVICE ---" appears in display. Turn ignition off.

A4 2000-2001
With ignition off, press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. Release button. "SERVICE!" or
"SERVICE IN xxxx MI" will appear in display. Turn button on left side of instrument panel to the left until display clears. Turn ignition off.

Ordered my Ross Tech cable on Wednesday evening. It arrived this morning (Friday).
I considered a eBay one but read some horror stories.
Latest software does almost all cars.
Worth the bit extra for piece of mind.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can someone help.
i have installed the software that came with the cd and i have downloaded from ross tech as well, but when i try the test on the ross tech, it says port ok interface not found, and vag con software wont even open up. i have windows 7 and i have tried compatible mode with vista, sp1-2, and the same with xp.

I'm totally stuck as well. Installed CAG-com and then attached the cable as per the instructions and installed driver. VAG-com won't accept the cable and when I remove the cable and put it back in it says new hardware found and I need to install the driver. Got the **** ache now. E-mailed the seller to see if they can shed any light as I've tried it on 2 lap tops and 2 desktops and it will not function. Both the desktops threw their toys out the pram with the cable connected and turned themselves off so I'm wondering if the cable is duff.

Ok theres a couple of points here.

The cheap ebay leads are electrically in two parts. One part is the actual car interface, the other is a convertor to change the USB into Serial.

When you attach the USB cable, windows detects the convertor, installs the driver and then allocates the convertor a COM port. You need to find out what this com port is, and thats the port you need to use inside vagcom (ie do not use "USB" mode in vagcom, because its not a USB interface)

Sometimes, windows will allocate the com port a number greater than 4. Vagcom can only see comports 1-4, so if thats the case you'll need to go in and reset the comport to 3 or 4.

I have a pictorial guide here on how to view and change the com port:

http://www.lr90.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=309

The next point is the interface itself (not the convertor) is powered from the car, so if its not plugged into the car while your trying to make it work (and the car ignition needs to be on) it wont be detected by vagcom.

To get it to start at all in Windows 7 (and probably Vista) you need to right click on the icon, and choose "run as administrator"

So to summarise, plug the USB in, use my guide to find (and change if required) the com port, start vagcom as an administrator, tell vagcom to use that com port, then connect to the car to test.

i have done all that time and time again, i tried ports 1-4, i have run as admin, i have had it plugged into the car, with and without the ignition on, i have right clicked and done compatabilty issuses..which says software not caompaitbile, i have run in xp sp3-sp2, vista-sp1 and so on.
forget puggin into car for a mintue.
sorry to shout, THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT OPEN ON MY PC.

Gruf: can you find out whether your running "32bit" or "64bit" windows?

If you go into Control Panel, and then into System, theres a line that says "System Type:" and will tell you there.

Also if you can give me the EXACT wording of the error message you get when you try to start it without compatibility mode, i'll see if i can find anything out.

64 bit.
it goes into a screen that say programme compatibility.
then it states...
incompatible application
Thanks

Sounds like its not compatible with 64bit windows then.

64bit Windows works quite differently to 32bit in some ways, and i suspect the way rosstech accesses the com ports in these old versions isnt 64bit friendly. The newer versions of the software that ARE 64bit compatible wont work with anything other than a genuine rosstech cable.

There are a few options, but i suspect the easiest would be to either get yourself on ebay and buy (or borrow from someone) a cheap old laptop that runs windows xp, or get yourself a genuine rosstech cable, so you can run the latest version of the software which does work on 64bit machines.

i'll go for the cable, could you advise me on what i would need and the price it should be also a link to buy it.
Thanks

mostly likely problem is 64 bit windows as drivers are different and not compatable, best get yourself onto a 32bit windows, you could do that by dual booting your laptop/pc.

Macca: Sure, or you could run a virtual machine and have 32bit windows inside, but for the average user these options are generally a lot of faff and require a bit of technical know how.

Picking up an old laptop off ebay for 50quid seems to me a better option than messing around with operating systems on what is possibly the guys only computer.

got new laptop and vag com subscription, i have done an auto scan and didnt understand a thing it was telling me, how and what can i check, how do i clear faults if i have any.
what can i do with what i have.
Tar