Central Locking nightmares

Skinty

Reaction score
Hi guys

Okay. So i've been having an issue with my central locking on my '98 A4 for a while now, too long, and I need to sort this out once and for all - so im asking for any bit of help you guys can provide!

It started out as the normal pump-runs-but-nothing-happens situation, so after doing some quick googling I found it to be a common problem with the central locking pump where the graphite wheel inside sometimes shatters, so I followed the DIY's and opened up my pump and sure enough, a thousand pieces - so anyway I got the pump replaced and all was fine

2 weeks later the exact same thing started happening. Unlock, pump runs, nothing happens. So after a lot of frustration and swearing in my head I figured seeing as the place i'd got the pump from was closed for the December holidays i'd leave it for the new year and take the pump back.

Now, the stores open again - so I took the pump out again ready to take back but thought i'd open it up again just to make sure, the graphite wheel is fine. As far as I can tell the pump is 100%.

I've taken all my door panels off and had a look around but have no idea what to look for or how to test. I thought maybe i'd try test for an air leak somewhere but no idea where to start.... I do hear a wierd noise coming from the mechanism directly behind the door handle on the rear left door when I unlock/lock - could that mechanism be the cause of this?

Would appreciate any assistance as i've just about had it with this damn car, but really don't want to get rid of it :(

The pumps dont just randomly fail.

The shattered impeller is usually caused by a vacuum leak. Instead of only running for a few seconds, the pump runs and runs trying to pull a vacuum to lock the car, this eventaully overheats and breaks the impeller.

You need to check all the lines, and the various joints to find the leak, it might be a pipe connection thats come apart, or a split line in the doors etc. You've got a good starting place with the odd noise you can hear.

Leave the new pump unplugged until you find it, or you'll break the new one.

Thanks for the reply aragorn, will sit the weekend and go through all the lines... *sigh* :)