Chris NottMonster Motorsport

Thread: knocking noise

4th Gear

Status

knocking noise

HEY PPL, IM CHRIS, IM 21 AND OWN AN A4 1.8T QUATTRO SPORT, IT'S GOT 80K ON, AND I HAVE GOT A
    KNOCKING NOISE COMING FROM UNDERNEATH WHEN TAKING LEFT CORNERS, UNLESS CARWLING. HAS ANYONE COME ACROSS THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THAT COULD ASSIST ME. WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECAITED.
    ALSO WHAT ARE THE FIRST STEPS TO GAIN BHP/ACCELERATION.
    THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.
    CHRIS <font color="red"> </font>

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_dumpvalve

Re: knocking noise

Hi Chris. If the problem is more apparent when you turn the wheel, it's most probably a CV joint. Not an enourmous job so it shouldn't be too costly. Failing that, it may be the control arms. They are one of the weak points on A4s and the fact is well documented. Hopefully for your wallet's sake, it is a CV joint!

As for performance, the first step HAS TO BE a chip/remap. It entails a simple job of reprogramming your ECU to increase the pressure of air driven by the turbocharger, as well as altering timing and fuelling accordingly. Most remaps should give you an extra 40-50BHP, and a healthy dollop of torque to go with it. The majority cost roughly 500 quid, and I think you'd agree that for an extra 40 horses that's not bad value.

As for who to go with......

That must be one of the most commonly asked questions on this forum. Do a search under the topic and you should find a (rather comprehensive) list compiled by Gammba. It shows most of the popular tuners in the UK as well as in the US.

I've got a 1.8T Sport (150BHP) with a standard engine, and I wouldn't dream of doing anything other than remapping it as the first power upgrade. Should be done in a few weeks too!

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Drew.