Volks AutosChris Nott
    6th Gear

Status

Took the golf into work this morning

id been taking the audi in because it was snowing but i have the audi on eagle f1s and theyre terrible in the snow so driving the audi really isnt that much fun at the moment

weve only got a little bit of snow so i thought id dig the golf out just for the sake of using it. rather than having to tip toe about and feeling the dreaded abs whenever i had to stop on the snow, the golf was flawless. i think the tyres (kumho ku31) can take part of the blame for that. the car is so chuckable and adjustable in the bends. if the front starts to wash wide, you just have to back out the throttle a bit and the line tightens right up. if the road is clear you can get cocky and hang the back out too.

i really think the audi has got to go and it makes me so sad to get rid of it. i wanted one for years, i always thought they were heroic in my opinion. sure its fast but the rest leaves you pretty numb. it does long distances well but thats about it.

i hate being proven wrong... and i thought the s4 was the answer to all my problems!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO !!

I do like the Golfs tho, Mk2 i assume?

Low Life

Status
    Huh?

I've had about a million Mk2's and Mk3's - but they're not a patch on the A4...
    NEW 6 cylinder 40mm front springs - £40

PM me for more info

6th Gear

Status
    noooo, this thing is a mk3 just to make it that bit more wierd. its tweaked to high heaven and its a barrel of laughs to drive. revvy, thrashable, it constantly eggs you on all the time to do something silly. the car gives you a buzz that id expect from an electric chair (the car's ride comfort is on par with an electric chair too)

the golf is on 216k miles and it is unquestionably reliable. in the last year or so it has been on a rolling road, it made 174bhp but most importantly the torque plot was lazer etched and ramped up and up, all the way to 6000rpm when it peaked at just shy of 150lbft. a compression test at abuot the same time showed it was still producing the goods after all this time.

it needs some body work bits done but nothing serious. i had to go out late on monday night, it was past mid night and with my favourite ACDC soundtrack on i had a whale of a time.

i dont think ive ever got out the audi with a grin like that.

the audi does point and shoot (really fast) and it does long distances well.

i dont know what i need in my life (again). now i think i might look for another b6 130pd and keep the golf

Low Life

Status
    My Mk3 is fun (in fact, all my Mk3's have been fun)... but my old VR6, although it was fast and made a beautiful sound, was riddled with problems. I was glad to see the back of it... even though it was beautiful. (can post pics if anyone's interested)

You can't beat the 8v Mk3 for all-round service though, I have to agree...

PM me for more info

6th Gear

Status
    even with the ease to live with, the cost to live with is next to zero and when you thrash it, it just comes back and asks for more, it never gets less than 33mpg average per tank, ever

the only thing it doesnt do that well is long distance, but my gf used to live 220 miles away and i travelled that every other weekend for a year in that car. not one single complaint with the car, ever

the s4 is just so effing dull to drive. ive yet to do one single journey where ive come out amazed with the car

Low Life

Status

Unhappy

That's really surprised me. Everyone raves about S4's on here.

PM me for more info

6th Gear

Status
    raves... about what?

yes its quick. yes it will exit a small wet roundabout like a bull through a china shop. yes its quiet and comfortable on a long trip.

its basically a one trick pony (maybe one and a half). the brakes and steering are numb. the handling is totally inert. sure it generates infinity grip and you do run the risk of snapping your neck through g forces in the bends, but that will be because you were asleep.

the only thing to rave about would be SENSORY DEPRIVATION whilst doing remarkable acceleration times.

6th Gear

Status
    maybe im having a bad day but im totally disappointed in myself for picking the car up when its so wide of the mark in terms of meeting my needs.

id jump at the chance to PX it for another b6 130pd sport right now.

ive done all the work i need to do to the car (bar putting the milltek on) but the car needs no maintennce, no tweaking and i just want to play with something. ill get the milltek on, but i cant see that making me fall inlove with the car

..got my head together!

Status
    Why not tune the S4 as you've done with the Golf? Not really a fair comparison if one is mod'd and the other isn't in my opinion.

I can't imagine a 170 HP Golf would excite me as much as a 400 HP S4 but maybe that's just me.

6th Gear

Status
    more bhp wont cure the sensory deprivation though, will it. all the suspension bits (to get it remotely close to golf spec, i have eibach coilovers on the golf..) will cost at least a grand. add more power because 320bhp feels "just" about enough, more would obviously be better, then youd want more brakes

after all that, i may as well just get a better car due to the amounts of money being sunk into the audi. once all that money is chucked at the car, i dont know if its going to still be a total yawn-fest.

as for exciting... sure getting thrown at the horizon is great fun. been there, done that, fantastic, but the audi is totally dull to drive, just point the steering wheel and floor the throttle.... no driver involvement at all. thats as exciting as flour and ditchwater

maybe i just didnt get enough sleep lastnight. the audi has half a tank at the moment, i should take it out for a blast tonight and it might cheer me up

..got my head together!

Status
    It's all down to personal preference I suppose. I can honestly say from the sorted S4s and sorted Golfs I've encountered the S4 comes out top nearly every time (a B.A.T. VR6 is the t!ts though) in my opinion.

As you've already stated it's an expensive game tuning an S4 so that'd be the only thing to make me think twice.

6th Gear

Status
    Although I can't argue that Eagle F1's are poor in the snow, I do think the S4 can be made to handle much better with some basic suspension mods and still remain comfortable enough to live with at the same time.

You've said that you longed for an S4 for so long, it seems a shame to throw in the towel now that you finally own one because the standard handling on a 10ish year old car isn't great. Reckon you should meet up with a fellow forum member with a modified S4 and see what you think to a car that's been improved.

If you're up near Liverpool, you're more than welcome to have a go in mine... so long as you promise not to kill me with one of your many spanners.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in how an S4 can perform.
    Mo power, mo problems

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Goodall View Post
    As you've already stated it's an expensive game tuning an S4 so that'd be the only thing to make me think twice.
    ive tweaked and tuned all sorts in the past, but now i think im getting a bit too old and boring, so i dont want to muck about any more, if i do it (and we all know its going to be expensive) i want i to work 100%

i could chuck the same value as ive spent on the car again at modifying it, without any garantee that the car will be a giggle afterwards. ive known plenty of people to do the same, chuck loads of money at the thing and then be stuck with it because of the amount spent on it

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Thunder
    Although I can't argue that Eagle F1's are poor in the snow
    originally the car came with some nasty rs4 wheels with nankangs on the front. in the snow before xmas i was about to brake and turn properly. since then put some eagle f1s on and it just doesnt want to stop at all, or turn, but then i wouldnt expect miracles from a performance summer tyres.

Reckon you should meet up with a fellow forum member with a modified S4 and see what you think to a car that's been improved.
    that does make sense. ive done that for guys on other boards in the past when i was into MR2s and especially the Golfs, half the Golf types from essex CGTI have had my car out in the past so i do see your point there. i do sometimes find myself up in cheshire direction and ive been threatening to drag my GF to the tate in liverpool so i may well take you up on that offer.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in how an S4 can perform
    i am impressed so far with the performance. it satisfies the basics in terminals of motoring, but with the more delicate things like response, adjustability and feedback the audi is next to hopeless.

Neutral

Status
    its true even of my 2.8 quattro its very dull to drive , i love driving my 1969 tuned mini cooper, only 98 bhp but the feeling of speed and the amount of feed back through the steering and through the bucket seat is great, super chuckable!!

6th Gear

Status
    yup, you know exactly what i mean. my golf is in effectively raw, you have to get stuck in and really drive it. the audi is cosseting, i mean any moron could jump in and drive it fast, mr bean could jump in and drive it at 9/10. i can drive the audi with my big protective work boots with 1 inch thick soles. i have to wear the most delicate fantastic ballet-esq shoes to get the most out of the golf (edit)

i wont take the audi out for a strop tonight, its all icy
    Last edited by Matt82; 8th January 2010 at 20:41.

Neutral

Status
    Mr bean (rowen atkinson) is a racing driver in real life, drive's a historic saloon , i met him in GPR at silverstone during the silverstone classic!

Neutral

Status
    Like acro planes, there's no substitute for excellent balance coupled with a LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT frame AND ALL the RESPONSIVE HP you can cram in the LIGHT frame. Often when it comes to primordial fun, LESS IS MORE!

Not to mention you can relax when you know a screwup/wreck won't cost you a zillion...I'd have more fun in the golf than the A4 too but I'd be pushing the Golf, throwing it around, and chicken**** out on open roads with an expensive car
    Last edited by luckymacy; 8th January 2010 at 20:04.
    Lucky

98 red AUDI A3 Sport