Drivers door not opening from outside.

nomadx

Reaction score
Went out to my car at about 11 last night and the door wouldn't open, the handle feels normal but door felt stuck. I figured it was iced closed so tried the pasenger door, which opened normally. Thought it would need a push from inside, but it opened fine.

Any ideas? I am thinking the lock maybe froze up, but the pin on door was up. Anything I can do to free it off? Its the same this morning.

hot water? just stay away from the window glass

All four of my doors froze solid yesterday. The boot was free however, so, I clambered through onto rear seats, tugged the handle and gave each door a kick et voila. Same again for the fronts..

Not sure if the water trick is a good idea at this time? I've read too many posts RE window seals etc splitting from the water re-freezing. (will watch this convo as Im interested in learning more)

Had exact same fault a week ago, had to climb through passenger side and open the door from inside like you, I thought maybe it was the lock barrel and it didnt engage the door handle so I`ll be monitoring this one closely

I just tried the key in the lock (to lock while it was warming up!) and it was frozen.
Poured some neat screenwash over the key as it was going in and it freed immediately.

could always use a haridryer or heat gun (carefully) to warm it up!
Water should be OK as it is not going into the seal/door juast warming it enough to free the ice.

Pulled the entire seal off a rental car in Canada one winter. very funny, but only as it was not my car and I hated it anyway!

just get some silicone lube and wipe it round the seals so it wont do it again just be carefull not to get it on paintwork .

I think its the lock mech thats frozen rather than the seal, as it opened fine from inside, no force needed really.

Hmm yeh could be actually , get that lubed up aswell . Might be the rod frozen

My drivers door was exactly the same the other morning. I took it for a very short drive and then locked it up again so I don't think anything dried out. Ended up climbing over from the passenger side. By time I was at work everything was normal again.

I think it's just one of those problematic issues of winter.