2.8 Oil consumption

Nitro

Reaction score
I have an A4 2,8 q year 2000 model, its uses a bit of oil. There are no leaks I can see , I park in the same place at work and on a drive way at home and on oil left on the ground at all. It does not smoke at all and has only done 109,000 miles with full Audi service history. Is this oil consumption normal?
I use Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic Oil 0W-40 as this is what the Audi dealership told me to use. It uses about 1L for every 1000 miles.

my a6 2.8 quattro avant was exactly the same its done 118000 this was when i was using castrol edge 5x30 fully synthetic i am now using total quartz 10x40 semi synthetic and the oil usage as more than halfed also the engine seems to run smoother and quieter

30 weight is a bit thin, but hes using 40 weight.

His 0w40 should be exactly the same viscosity as your 10w40 once the engines up to temp.

1L per 1000miles is right on the limit of "gubbed" as far as audi is concerned. The manual states the engine may use up to that much. A perfect engine would use next to nothing, so its likely that it IS burning it.

but at that level youd see some smoke, surely?

When I first got my 2.8Q it was using about 1L of oil per 1000 miles, but now it hardly uses any. I can't remember what oil was used previously but at this moment in time it has 10w40 lucas semi synthetic in it and mine has done 150k

Matt: people following might if your giving it some, the cat will burn a lot off though. You need to be chucking out a LOT of smoke before its easily visible in the rear view...

Semi or fully synth shouldnt make a difference, infact fully should perform better because it stays consistent much longer.

For a 2,8 V6 30 valve thats covered 109,000 with FSH which oil should i use at the next change? Audi dealer told me fully synth is a must. But which weight?

chuck in some wynns for oil and see if it makes a difference.
used it on countless centurion cars and it works a charm

Audi dealers know sweet FA about 10 year old cars. Just ask GSF, it should be Fuchs semi synth 10w40

Theres no disadvantage running 0w40 fully synth instead of 10w40 semi, bar it costing a bit more.

Fully synth oil lasts longer and performs better than the semi, and the 0w instead of 10w means the oils thinner when cold, to provide better cold start protection.

oil temps would be a touch lower but a 2.8q is hardly the sort of car that would be being ripped at the redline for miles and miles on end

Got to agree with some of the above posts. My weekly commuting mileage is 500 miles. Like clockwork, every sunday, when my week at work is done, I chuck in half a litre of oil. I use 10/40 at the moment, but have just treated her to a diesel flush so am going to change the oil after only 500 miles coz its black already! Going to use 0/40 fully synth this time.

10/40 semi in mine, its done 120k and uses 1/2 litre every 6 k or so, which is about when i change the oil anyway.