Locking wheel nuts - damn you

voteforpedro

Reaction score
MOT expired yesterday and I kind of forgot with all the xmas shenanigans. I start my new job tomorrow so had today to get it through the MOT... I knew it needed two front tyres so got up bright and early to get them changed.

THE LOCKING WHEEL NUTS ARE damaged AND THE KEY IS ALSO damaged.

The nuts have a rotating sleeve to prevent theft... duh... The key has three "prongs" and the nuts have three holes with they slide into. Are these standard Audi locking nuts?

Needless to say I am not happy. I went to buy some Irwin Bolt Grips but the largest they had was 16mm and they need to be around 18-19mm. He sold me a cheaper Laser thing instead - it has reverse threads so you tighten it left and it locks then loosens it. On the first wheel it was looking good until it loosed again and came off. Then it wouldn't grip at all. And on the other wheel it started rotating with the sleeve until I hit it off with a hammer. Now the sleeve inside the tool, firmly wedged forever. Best £14 I ever spent.

I am not happy. No public transport to my new job so I am royally silly. Yeah, I know it's my fault for overlooking the MOT... :s

Last edited by a moderator:
go to halfords, get a "sacrificial" 17mm or 18mm socket, hammer it on and shock it off

they are not standard and yes they are a pain. had them on a car I bought a while ago.
you need to get that sleeve off each nut and as above get a "one size too small" socket onto the remaining stump

in the past ive had a set of mcgard ultras that supposedly had slipping rings, i did the usual one socket too small and the slip ring was destroyed and it the locking nut just came off

I've tried hammering a 19mm socket on but it's no good, it comes straight off again. Must be well and truly seized. I will go try an 18mm...

put a breaker bar on it and jump on it, it just wants the shock

it will make your wildest dreams come true

Yay it passed.

Got a load of advisories though...

- N/S rear brake pipe slightly corroded
- O/S rear wheel bearing has slight play (only changed them 4 months ago)
- rear discs need replacing soon
- exhaust corroded/leaking in two places
- O/S lower suspension dust cover split/missing

So looks like a new exhaust is on the cards. Good excuse to get a stainless system and tell the missus "that's just how much they cost". :p Also a complete rear brake overhaul (I think I have a sticky caliper too).

Can anybody advise on the last one, the suspension dust cover?