Stuck in snow

Audidave

Reaction score
hi just some pictures of my attempt to cross the back mountains from hay to pandy. Wish i still had one of my landrovers at one point!

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it is a quattro!
Summer or crappy tyres then ? I have got out from bigger snow than that with me a4 mate ! Either the car was grounding everywhere or there was no traction from the wheels...

the snow where i got stuck was about 18" deep and frozen solid on top the wheels were not touching the ground!

hay on wye (powys) to pandy (herefordshire) via Capl Y Ffin mountain road only got half way as last night snow was 2 foot deep and a blizzard was blowing!

summer tyres are the problem for me I find.
defo buying some dedicated winter ones now

HNY BTW!!

in snow that deep you are boll*ked what ever tyres you use the one guy in the landrover got stuck in front of me. I was the greenlane officer for hereford landrover club for 2 years and have been off roading landrovers for 14 years so have a fair knowlage of off road driving.Audi is very good in ice and snow, but it all comes down to ground clearance in the end!

hay on wye (powys) to pandy (herefordshire) via Capl Y Ffin mountain road only got half way as last night snow was 2 foot deep and a blizzard was blowing!

Thats freaky how a few miles makes all the difference, i am maybe 40 miles from there and saw maybe 20 flakes of show. Glad you got out safe tho

in snow that deep you are boll*ked what ever tyres you use the one guy in the landrover got stuck in front of me. I was the greenlane officer for hereford landrover club for 2 years and have been off roading landrovers for 14 years so have a fair knowlage of off road driving.Audi is very good in ice and snow, but it all comes down to ground clearance in the end!
Do not wanna rub salt in the wound but you shure your car is quattro ? I mean did you look underneath for the rear diff ? Not being funny but if its a manual gearbox, i would get out of 2 feets of snow even with FWD ! You need to rock the car back and forth and to keep the momentum while turning the steering wheel to get traction. You also start in 2nd gear to minimise traction loss. Unless you were on sheet ice, i would have got out of it ! The pictures dont show too much snow -apart from the first picture- but i regularly drive in eastern europe in snow much bigger than that, allbeit on 15" steels and winter/snow tyres and i keep 2 sets of snow chains just in case (did not have to use them so far) ! Mine is a v6 tdi quattro and never got stuck. I do have a tufftrayz wich i fit every winter though as its ****** heavy and protects the alloy sump. Rest of the year, the plastic undertray does it just fine. I was thinking to get an engineering firm to make a full metal undertray just for winter to avoid ripping the exhaust and grounding the box but i think its overkill really ! Oh, driving in snow require different techniques than on ice/snow...

Last edited:
the snow had frozen ice on top so your wheels went though but the body sat on top, and yes it is a quattro i have recently replaced a rear cv boot! the road had only been driven by a tractor and the disco in the picture, where i am stuck is in a snow drift at about 1850 ft above sea level at gospal pass.

Thats freaky how a few miles makes all the difference, i am maybe 40 miles from there and saw maybe 20 flakes of show. Glad you got out safe tho
It is the altitude that makes the difference about 2 degrees per 1000 ft it was raining in hay on wye but ice rail and snow on the way up!

some serious knobblies on that disco!

DSC_0173.jpg

got alot futher today although ice on road up was really nasty!

DSC_0024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it about 27 miles from me, the road up from hay is a nightmare total ice. i slid down one section almost shi*e myself 1st gear and feet well away from the brakes!!

The Quattro outside my place. Pile of snow to the left is my hard digging to make the space

4244186483_2bf2aee10a_b.jpg

My street.A couple of cars well snowed in

4244185897_a8c3561061_b.jpg

The path to my car. About a foot

4244184451_9cc96c9173_b.jpg

My folks front yard on new years eve

4244183413_de4c39db75_b.jpg

:greyrs4: