Having trouble finding an intake...

sport99quattro

Reaction score
I've been trying to find an intake for my 99 1.8t and I have found ONE which I'm pretty sure adapts directly with the MAF mess on the top of the intake. What kind of intakes are you guys running? Where did you get them? How much did you pay? ...I think the problem is with the mess of what i assume are MAF plug-ins under the intake cover.

Also... Would I benefit from a true cold air intake as opposed to a short ram? I know my friends with STIs and EVOs do not have to worry about a cold air because their top/front mounts do an efficient job... then theres the 1.8t side-mount haha.

Anyways... thanks in advance

I am running a custom fit BMC which I have to say as produced great results.

Most say you cant beat the standard air box just slot in a K&N filter.

My+SC++BMC.jpg

You need a custom MAF converter (Top Hat) from DeemonTweeks and thats it, JBR on here can sort you out the BMC.

i was thinking about doing cold air, but few people told me i was crazy and that no aftermarket could suck in more air than the standard airbox...so i just threw in a K&N...but then some1 told me that the K&N might mess up the MAF sensors because of the oil that comes on the filter....I can feel a little more juice with the K&N but not much...not really worth messin up my MAF

The stock airboxes on most Audis are not restrictive at all, so power-wise nobody really expects any gains when 'upgrading' to a K&N or similar. But a good aftermarket set-up apparently improves the induction noise and engine note, and doesn't hinder performance.

I for one will probably go down the route of the BMC - our friend snoop seems rather impressed with how it has served him. Ideally, I'd go for a filter that used stainless steel mesh (Quickshift Taipan) over an oiled one like the BMC, although I've been informed that the Taipan doesn't fit A4s well and may even reduce airflow.

The only slight worry I'd have is that the BMC is still very slightly oiled and may mess up the MAF.

All a long way off though - still got some bodywork to finish off before I move on to the engine.

Drew.

[ QUOTE ]
Drew 2226 said:
But a good aftermarket set-up apparently improves the induction noise and engine note

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention the beautiful sound of a diverter valve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Definately. Which intake are you thinking of fitting then?

Hi mate, why dont you just modyfy the original airbox? i have got a 225 TT now & i have modded it, here is a guys site (from the tt forum) http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/ramair/cheapinduction.htm

It does make a nice sound & u can defo hear the DV pshhhhhht , i was abit wary at first but i thought i would give it a go, just make sure u fit a cold air feed, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll have a look at that mate. If I can achieve the same results without spending too much then it's worth investigating.

Drew.

So do you guys think that the CDA is worth the money then?
Was there a noticable difference performance wise?