Can I.....

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
I want to change my original tape/radio player for a cd/radio player. is it just a simple swap?

also how much should i be paying for one? and where is the best place to get one?

cheers

Its quite a simple swap, Your new cd headunit will be smaller than the original unit but will be supplied with a plastic surround to make up the difference. Halfords should sort it for you, i would personally go to a smaller car audio center as they normally know what there doing unlike the kids in halfords!!

Expect to pay anything from £100 to £1000 depending on what you want

Nowadays you can pick up good entry level cd's from the likes of Kenwood, Pioneer and JVC under £99. Search online.

think i should have made it more clear. i want to replay my original audi tape unit for an Original audi CD unit. not after market.

Why not add a changer unit? Usually this goes in the boot of the Avant or the glove box on the saloon (correct me if I am wrong), I have an S4 with the cd chnager in the boot - job done.:s4addict:

Why not add a changer unit? Usually this goes in the boot of the Avant or the glove box on the saloon (correct me if I am wrong), I have an S4 with the cd chnager in the boot - job done.:s4addict:

presumably these just connect into the back of the tape/radio unit somewhere?

Do you know if they play copied CDs? i hate having originals in the car, always end up scratched :banghead:

Cheers

I had a £64 Panasonic CD/MP3 headunit in my Polo & Civic for a total of about 3 years between them. It was AWESOME! Had an AUX in so I always ran my iPod into it. My mum and dad have it in their car now since I got the Audi (in which I'm gonna get an iPod adapter)

So there's awesome bargains to be had for well under £100 these days for HUs :)

i've had a look on the bay and OE head units are fetching some silly monies...
just seen one on there for £175 + P&P surely the dealership will sell them for less...

might pop down to the local scrappy and see if he's got anything.

I personally think aftermarket units are usually better spec and better looking than oe manufacturers stuff. Each to their own and all that thou!

i've got a normal Sony unit to go in mine... ordered the blanks off eBay.

anyone got any hints on getting the old one out? found the two little slots, but none of the keys i have work :banghead:

cheers

i've got a pioneer dvd screen in my VW but don't want that in the Audi as the radio signal isn't great. i mainly listen to the radio as i tend to get tired of CD's very quickly. but in the A4 i don't have the option of CD and don't own any cassettes.
so best option is to get a OEM CD player with radiom that way i'll have good radio signal and the cd option. anyone selling an AUDI CD player?

muggles...

is your audi facelift? if so just pull on the surround and it will clip off giving you access to the screws for the HU.

muggles...

is your audi facelift? if so just pull on the surround and it will clip off giving you access to the screws for the HU.

no, '97 pre facelift :(

any particular reason you want to stick with OEM? the Sony unit i have is all red LEDs, so should fit in quite well (i hope). Radio signal was actually better (finer tuning) than the OEM that used to be in my beemer.

cheers anyway, and good luck with your search :beerchug:

Last edited:
was thinking this morning, if you change the head unit to a non-OEM one, would you loose the display by the clocks in the Dash? currently says radio station etc. Anyone know if the display can this be used with non-OEM units?

Cheers :)

I would have thought it's just an OEM thing, I could be wrong. lets see what the more experienced fellas have to say.

I would have thought it's just an OEM thing, I could be wrong. lets see what the more experienced fellas have to say.
You are right, it is an oem option. The oem hu does look better than most after market, but there are a few which blend in nicely if you are willing to search and pay the price. Becker make a very good hu for instance. Swapping hu's is simple, even with an after market one. Both are plug and play except the after market one will need an adapter plug which plugs into your loom and the other end staright into the back of your hu

oem cd player (a6/tt one is the correct size) wont work properly without a can bus simulator (£40 kufatec.de) but still wont display in dash
i run them purely because i dont want my car broken into and i got them dirt cheap

aftermarket youll need facia adapters, harness adaptor and aerial amplifier thingy or radio reception will be very poor

as suggested best option is cd changer, plug will already be in boot

I didnt need a harness adaptor, as most stereo looms have the little flylead with the changable contacts anyway. I did have to add a switched live though, using a relay and a feed from the fusebox.

Interesting point on the ariel amplifier... I dont have one?

ye i think so?

Mines an avant though, and has a beesting on the roof if that makes any difference?

I think some of the saloons had it in the rear window?

oe radio reception is excellent but you loose powered amplified aerial when you switch to aftermarket

I'm pretty sure that my brotehr just worked through the wiring diagram to find the live for the aerial amplifier and then fed that from the headunit wiring. My reception isn't much worse than teh factory deck but has teh added benefit of sounding very nice. Only downside is the deck I use (Alpine 9812RB) doesn't even come close to blending in with the dash, in fact it stands out rather a lot, price I'm willing to pay for good sounds though