Damp passenger footwell

jay_w

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just being out to my car to get my matts out and as i was doing this i noticed the passenger footwell was very damp.
A couple of nights ago , i went to use the screen washers both front and back .To which i could hear what sounded like water on the inside of the car.

Does the rear screen washer pipe/line run down the the inside of the car on the passenger side.If it does where about is it and can i get to it.

cheers

Jay

Mugglesquop - cheers mate.

I'm still get fluid to the rear washer and its working all gd .It just bothering me as to why the passenger footwell is damp.
Last week i got inside the car and the front screen was iced up on the inside.So i'm thinking water/damp must be getting in somewhere.

Jay

not sure if its relevant to the Audis (only had mine 3 days!) but i know on some VAG models, the water can come in through the doors (leak thru top seal, then run down the inside door skin), and also through heater vents if the drain holes are blocked around the scuttle panel.

Can you look/feel up under the dash and see if the water is coming from there?

another problem is window seals... but this is usually due to rust under the seals... which is fairly noticeable.

Its more likely to be the scuttle panel drains.

Theres one under the battery and one behind the servo, and they clog up with crap. Water then finds its way inside and the carpets foam backing acts like a giant sponge.

Its more likely to be the scuttle panel drains.

Theres one under the battery and one behind the servo, and they clog up with crap. Water then finds its way inside and the carpets foam backing acts like a giant sponge.

are these the same drains that can get clogged and water fill up to the level of the ECU...?
:uhm:

Aragorn - Where about on the scuttle panel are the drains? If mine are blocked up whats the best / easiest way to unblock them?

jay

Remove the battery and unblock them, then remove the stupid pro-clogging grommets that guarantee the things will get blocked. No good just unblocking them as it'll happen again. The grommets need to come out as well, or at least one of them.
DrainHolesB5copy.jpg

Draingrommetcloseup.jpg

You'll also need to remove the side trim and get a sponge under the carpet, and bale her out. Then leave a heater blower in the car with the carpet chocked up and dry it right out otherwise it will stink in a few days. The sponge backing is 3 inches thick and will be sopping.

Last edited:
I didnt remove the grommets, they're presumably there for a reason...

I simply trimmed them so that instead of that + shape its just a round hole.

Yes they're there purely to get blocked up. They perform no other function. The second time it happened to me they were literally blocked with grit. No leaves or any other debris.

You're right about the rear washer pipe too, it runs behind the kick panel just in front of the passenger door. Mine was chucking water into the footwell. It was just a push in connector that had come loose.
I went to use it again and there was a watery noise from the driver side cubbyhole (I have an avant) where another connector had worked loose. Worth a check as that washer fluid smells awful.

Andy: yer mine were the same the last twice, so i cut the + out this time.

I suspect they're there to stop water creeping round the edge of the panel and tracking along the underside and gathering in undesirable places. If it was designed to be a plain hole then thats exactly what audi would have done, hence i simply trimmed the grommet and opened it right up.

I have had the 'pleasure' of the blocked outlets under the battery causing a front footwell flood and the rear washer pipe coming off in the offside rear compartment by the central locking air pump, - so wet front and back!
The front carpet with the foam really does take a lot of careful drying out, it takes about a week to dry thoroughly.

You may want to check your bonnet release cable. Where the cable comes through into the engine bay there is a grommet around the cable to prevent water entering the passenger compartment.

On my A6 the cable grommet was not correctly pushed into place. As there is tension in the cable to look at it you wouldn’t notice it wasn't correctly fitted and providing a waterproof seal.

check your pollen filter housing common fault if filter not replaced properly, there is a also problems with the housings not sealed properly, just google a4 pollen filter housing should throw something up. if your carpets are damp on top they will be swimming underneath, pull sill trim up, lift carpets up you need to get the water out as soon as poss as the convenience unit is under the carpet these get wet and all sort of problems start