Heated washer jets

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
my heated washer jets dont seem to work
ive got proper screen wash but washer jets still freeze when its a bit nippy

do they only work with rear window defrost or something or are they just rubbish or broken

Ours seem to be broken too. I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams tomorrow and see how they're connected.

I know the heated mirrors run off the rear screen demist.

the trouble with heated washer jets is the pipe feeding them freezes thats where the blockage is the jets work fine but with no water being fed to them they are the next best thing to useless

They are the same as the mirrors and on all of the time, hence they burn out after time. I need a drivers mirror and both jets.lol

probably are burnt/worn out then, didnt someone look into fitting fan type from later models?

My mirrors are always on, stupid really. Who needs heated mirrors in summer!! Surely it must ****** something up with all that unnecessary heat??, being on the heated rear screen switch makes perfect sense.

My nearside mirror doesn't heat up, anybody got a spare they'd like to sell me?

my mirrors are on all the time, actually very usefull at clearing rain aswell as frost but washer jets are annoying me

All models all on all of the time, facelifts can have a bimetal strip on the back that kick in below 5 degrees ish.

Even says in the manual they are on all the time

my mirrors are on all the time, actually very usefull at clearing rain aswell as frost but washer jets are annoying me

Same with mine come in really handy. washer jets are on all the time too from what i can tell anyways

Mine tend to freeze and get stuck out. Looks crappy sitting there with the washers poking out.

50:50 meths is what you need.

-3 last night and mine was still flowing.

think my mirrors only come on when the selector is set to the middle, i.e not pointing at a particular mirror

Mirriors are on all the time mate. Just the facelifts have the 5 degree strip on the rear of the mirror glass

Interesting so i assume the car wont really need to warm up for long to use the jets?

Mine are working fine!

I've just got to remember to move the snow out the way that's blocking them first though!

They were working at minus 8 yesterday!

Well it seems i wasnt imagining things. On a '96 the mirrors are powered from the heated screen switch. On '97> cars, they have they're own permanent ignition feed.

Our heated nozzles dont seem to work, might have to look at some replacements.

Having heated mirrors all the time does seem a bit strange, but you only have to go back to a car without to realise how great they are! I had a new Mondingo hire car a while back and found it almost dangerous as the wing mirrors were next to useless with the amount of water droplets that collected on them.

how do know if mine are worn out, or even if i have heated mirrors.
Tar

gruf: If your cars a '96 they'll only come on with the heated rear screen.

If they're broken you need to replace the mirror glass afaik, the element is built into it.

gruf: If your cars a '96 they'll only come on with the heated rear screen.

If they're broken you need to replace the mirror glass afaik, the element is built into it.
tar.
phoned up, its £30 for passenger and £35 for driver side.

i took glass out and had a look and found that my connectors had gone green from corrosion, i have changed the connectors for new ones and put the glass back but i think the terminals on the back of the glass might be useless coz i had to strain them to get the glass out, i cant be bothered to stand out in the cold to see if the glass warms up so i will let you no in the morning or maybe in a couple of hours if it gets a bit frosty.

Last edited:
out of interest, where do they heat from the jets itself?

yes its the jets that are heated but as i have said previously the water freezes in the pipe feeding them so if it cant flow to the jets it cant be heated