Votes: 1 33.3%
  • no way, too much work to replace.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hoganalley

Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm new to the forums but I've been observing here for a while. I'm on Audizine and Audiworld in North America, but I've come up with a problem that I'm sick of trying to fix!

My Central Locking Pump crapped out on me for the 2nd time in 2 years. I'm currently researching options into replacement parts for the impellers instead of buying a new pump.

Would you guys be interested in buying a set of Impellers out of a more resilient material as opposed to buying a new CLP?

Post up, let me know your thoughts!

the option of repairing already exists (i know i sell impellers)
im not sure if youd find a better material either (graphite is self lubricating and very hard wearing), you could make them slightly thicker and round instead of oval like the early pumps which dont seem to suffer the same problem

might also be worth checking for leaks, as often the cause of failure is the pump overrunning due to a leaking vacuum system.

old_skool: do you actaully have the impellers made, or do you just stock up on the Audi 80 spec pumps and remove the impellers from them?

the option of repairing already exists (i know i sell impellers)
im not sure if youd find a better material either (graphite is self lubricating and very hard wearing), you could make them slightly thicker and round instead of oval like the early pumps which dont seem to suffer the same problem

Excellent! Very good. Thanks for the info. Are you the same dude selling them on Ebay?

I think we can find a material that has the same properties as graphite but harder. I'm not sure if it would create more noise or what but I will look into it.

Yes, the leak may very well be the cause of the graphite breaking. If there is not a leak, then maybe the graphite is strong enough. However, if it breaks and you're in there already, you may as well replace it with something stronger.

We also have to take into account the shipping from your side of the ocean. It would be cheaper if there was a source in Canada/US

Surely you have the earlier cars (audi 80/100 etc) over there too with the earlier pumps and the stronger impellers?

Surely you have the earlier cars (audi 80/100 etc) over there too with the earlier pumps and the stronger impellers?

Yup, we do. But they are becoming leaner in quantity. I understand the A4 is getting older as well, but this can be made for all cars that use this type of system. It means a new mold, maybe, for each one but definately still possible.

I will see if the molded parts are more resilient than anything else out there. Once I get a quote I will have to find some data on materials and try to find a material that will work best.