Wet carpets!

gstevens26

Reaction score
I've just been cleaning my car out when I noticed that the carpets on the passenger floor and under the seat and the rear carpets behind the passenger seat are soaking wet. Can anyone suggest where the wet could be getting in? I've checked all the window seals and they look good. Underneath the car looks sound. Can't work it out as they are really quite wet and thought someone may have had the same experience.
I've got a A4 1.8T quattro sport

Scuttle tray. There are two plugs - one underneath the battery and one behind the servo. Remove the battery and tray for the first one and you will have to reach in under the servo for the second. While you're there, do yourself a favour and remove those ****** plenum drain plugs...

P.S. my carpets were so wet I had to remove the entire carpet. There will be A LOT of water underneath it, I'm not kidding... The carpet is fairly easy to remove. Remove the seats, lower dashboard trim, sill trim, lower B pillar trim, centre console trim etc. It joins up behind the dash board, so you also need to remove the dash bar...

Or do what I did - get a Stanley knife and make two cuts either side of the bar. :)

Once all the trim is back in place you won't notice the cuts.

I didnt remove the plugs, as i figured they must be there for a reason...

But what i did do was trim them back so instead of the cross shaped slit there was a proper round hole. the one behind the servo is tricky, and also acts as a grommet for the clutch pipe, but i managed to cut most of it out with a pair of wire cutters by reaching in.

Hey guys i have the same problem but on both sides of the floor front and back only my tray holes are fine i unblocked them over a year ago and clean them out every other week but my carpets are drenched every time it rains and in this weather its hard for me to strip it out as i have no place to store anything is there any other place i aint look at where it could come in cheers

I have this problem on the driver side of my a4 b5 avant. Have taken seats out, along with glovebox and centre console. But am baffled on how to remove the b pillar trims. And advise. Thanks in advance.

Mines like this but theres no scuttle trims or anything fitted the pollen filter is in a bag and then another 3-4 carrier bags over the heater box intake duct, noticed its getting moisture on the inside of the windows with mould spots starting to appear so ive wiped down the seats removed the rear bench and had a look what tools i need to remove the seats/carpets so i can grab them from work tomorrow and get the recaros and carpet out before any more mould can attack them and ruin them. Carpet needs a good clean anyway so going to take it work and give it a good clean and dry out.

Ive just stripped mine out the seats are easy enough . A screw each side on the rear of the runners holding a plastic cap on. and a clip at the front of the seat on the bar. I've snapped a few covers trying to get them off the b posts were brital and had to make a cut in carpet to remove easier. Need a Phillips screw driver, trim removal tool an a Stanley.

check the seals round the ECU and the blower motor intake, under the scuttle lift the pollen filter out, if it needs replacing (well if both do) dont crank the screws/bolts down hard, and do it even so it seats flush, theirs also a drain in the heater in the foot well pass side right next to the center console, you'll have to remove the glove box to get to it, or put it on a ramp and unblock the hole , but i found it best to do it from the inside!!

The drain is for the A/C mines off road so isnt this ive no scuttle fitted at the minute so ive ordered a full car cover to stop it but going to look into it when this crap weathers buggers off.

Ive Took the seats out to stop them getting ruined.