Help new purchase first Audi

Xattica

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here. Recently moving to Raleigh, NC. I'm planning to purchased my first Audi. Because I'm relocating, I'm planning to purchased from a dealer an used 1999 A4 2.8l Quattro. The car looks great and clean. Just 2 owners. No leaks, etc. But have 193K miles. Planning to used about 50-60 miles daily.
Price $3,995. What do you think? What else I need to check? I have the VIN# but no carfax account. The dealer show me a very clean Autocheck.

Thanks,
X

You should be able to get a lower mileage example than that for that money matey. As far as miles go though can't comment on that high but my 2.8 quattro had done 110K before swapping it and that was still running sweet as a nut....

Yeah, mines on 130,000 miles. I got her with FSH from Audi and have taken very, very good care of her. Because of this I can honestly say, that now she runs like a new car(and better than a lot of new cars!) Just make sure you change the oil every 5,000 miles max and sort out any mechanical/cosmetic (in that order) problems as SOON as they rear their minging heads. Do this and the car should last way past its shelf life! Have either the dealer or someone you you do a VAGCOM scan on it to make sure there are no probs.Check and re-check for oil leaks, especially at the rocker/cam covers. MAKE SURE THE TIMING BELT HAS BEEN CHANGED, WITH A FULL TIMING BELT KIT, AND THAT IT WAS DONE PROFESSIONALLY.
Last but never least, enjoy the car mate!

I guess the values here and the values in the states differ, for instance due to the cost of fuel here (US$1.70 a litre) V6 models tend to have much lower pricing than the 1.8T or TDI's

Plus your buying from a dealer which wont help the pricing.

To give you an idea, $4000 would probably buy you a late B5 1.8T quattro with reasonable miles in mint condition over here, or perhaps even just about stretch to a B6.

www.audizine.com is a US based site, they would prob have a better idea on the value etc on cars in the states

Well as a Mech Engineer I'm very meticulous with all my cars. I love to TLC them. What happens if the dealer don't know about the last timing belt change ? Then, is a good deal? With a good maintenance the car can last up to +250k miles? What about long trips?
Thanks a lot for the advices.
X

Hello again mate. If the dealer dosn't know if the belt has been changed then walk away....A FSH on a high mileage car is very important. Shouldn't have to explain why! Maintainence wise if you stay on top of things, like any car, it could potentially last forever. Ref long journeys, my daily commute is 60 miles into Londinium and back. Mostly motorway miles. I have NEVER had a problem with her. Lovely car and a pleasure to maintain. Value wise taking CraigG's advice is highly reccomended. Value will differ greatly from the UK to Stateside. Make sure you don't rush the purchase. Spend time looking for a peach. It will be worth it in the long run!

Well thanks everybody. I walked away phoenix. The car was rusty, with several leaks at the rocker/cam cover as you stated. Also a break line was almost broken. Now looking for another one. I tested a Passat Wagon V6 but is not the same handling.

Thanks again. I will post if I found another one.

X

Ok. I (my wife, lol) will be a happy owner of an A4 1.8T Quattro Avant. Is a black beautiful beast. Very well care! Now I'm ready for the tricks!

good choice!
You have all the suppliers of the best toys over there as well. Big turbo for the new year!? :)

Nice one mate. You will be happy you waljed away from that other lemon! Those 1.8 Q are rare over here. You will be very lucky to find a good one up for grabs this side of the pond! Enjoy the car buddy!......Oh yeah, ref jcb's question, a big turbo sounds like a smashing idea............

LOL. First thing first. Timing belt kit on next monday! But yes maybe the big turbo on 2010!