Volks AutosJMB Retrofits

Thread: 97-98 a4

imported_dyson06

97-98 a4

Hey guys! I'm new to the thread.

I am 17 years old, and bought a car when I was 15, and have been driving that for about 2 years. And its about time for me to start looking for a new car.

I saw in ads and on the internet 97-98 A4's going for around 7-9k.

Would it be smart to purchase a 97-98 A4 for 8-9k for a car to drive? Thoughts?
    (I do not have a dealer in my city, but their are ones in surrounding cities)

thanks!
    -dyson

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: 97-98 a4

youmight want to add more detail to what you are looking at. there are a lot of things that could alter the price of the car, but without knowing no idea.

Here are some things that might help:
    Mileage
    accidents(if any)
    record of maintenance
    problems
    etc

imported_dyson06

The cars I have seen have reasonably low milage. They look about like this:

Milage: 60-100k
    No Accidents
    Full Records
    No big problems

These are just the ones I've seen on Ebay. But I was looking more into the 2.8l engine A4. I'm kinda new in the car world, but whats so nice about the 1.8l turbo as compared to the 2.8, other than gas?

thanks - dyson

1st Gear

Status

yes, its a perfect car, just make sure you have money left over so that if repairs are needed to be done, they are cause your car will be out of warrenty(unless you get one from the dealer)

imported_WatchMeFlyBy

from what i know, people install an ecu upgrade (chip) in a 1.8t to make the turbo produce more pressure. i dont see how chipping a 2.8 would give you more power. If you asked me, i would say definately go with the 1.8t b/c as AUDI A4 QUATTRO said, theres alot more things you can do to tune them. and even if you dont wanna tune, the 1.8t is still pretty peppy stock.
    look on the internet for an APR dealer nearest you by going to www.goapr.com and clicking on 'dealers'. Thats were you would go to get a chip done.
    AL

Reverse Gear

Status

There are a few chips out there for the 2.8 AMD produces chips. Like everyone has already told ya def go for the 1.8t. I would trade in mine for the 1.8t if i could. Like i said earlyer, work for the 2.8 will have to be custom and expensive. If ya wanna know come of the custom work that im workin on let me know.